Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YunJ
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to sort by column again when already sorting by the measure?

Hi,

I created a Sort column to sort the Store. 

1.PNG2.PNG

When I click the little triangle, it will sort by this measure. However, if I want to sort the Store by the "Sort" column I created again, I didn't find a button to erase current sort(which is sort by the triangle). I always have to create a new visual again and very carefully not to click the little triangle. 

I'm wondering is there a solution to erase current sort quickly and still sort by the column?

3.PNG

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ohh right, there is a small unconventional workaround for this. If you disable word-wrap in the values sections of formatting you can then add the sorting column which you then hide by reducing the width to 0. This means that you can still sort by that column but you wont actually see it in the visual. 

Otherwise i believe the only way to accomplish this is to remake the visual and publish with the correct sort. This means that whenever someone opens the report for the first time they will have the correct sort, and if someone by chance change the sort they can use the "reset to default" to get back to the correct sort.

Hope this helps,

/ J 

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YunJ ,

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. If the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YunJ ,

Based on my research, this sort option can't be erased in power bi currently. In previous version of power bi, you can use the sort by option to click sort by asc/desc again to cancel current sort but this function seems to be removed now. One way to achieve it now is like @ tex628 mentioned to click more options(...) to sort by manually. 

You can refer these document and article:

1. Sort by column in Power BI Desktop 
  2. Sort By Column in Power BI 

In addition, you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Select the 3 dots, then sort by and finally the correct column. 

image.png

Connect on LinkedIn

Hi @tex628 

The sort column is not in my visual, so it will not under the 3 dots option. 

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ohh right, there is a small unconventional workaround for this. If you disable word-wrap in the values sections of formatting you can then add the sorting column which you then hide by reducing the width to 0. This means that you can still sort by that column but you wont actually see it in the visual. 

Otherwise i believe the only way to accomplish this is to remake the visual and publish with the correct sort. This means that whenever someone opens the report for the first time they will have the correct sort, and if someone by chance change the sort they can use the "reset to default" to get back to the correct sort.

Hope this helps,

/ J 

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.