Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to sort a text month year column by a numeric date column in a live/direct query to SAAS Cube

Hi team

Looking for some urgent help on sorting my visual by a month year format as opposed to an alphabetic format.
i am using a direct query to a Saas tabular model and woul like to sort the text mm-yy column on a date key column in my model. In my view i am trying to show a view of created tickets and a cummulative count of Open tickets per month. Any ideas/solutions will be really appreciated. cheers

issue.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers guys for the help, on another note just wondering if there was any ideas around modelling this back within the Saas tabular model so that it flows seamlessly into to powerbi?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

There is no direct option to sort text month year column, try to sort manually by the following way-

1. Create a calculated column and write the below DAXMonthYear Sort = SWITCH(Table1[Month Year],"Jan-2015",01,"Feb-2015",02,"Mar-2015",03,"Apr-2015",04,"May-2015",05,"Jun-2015",06,"Jul-2015",07,"Aug-2015",08,"Sep-2015",09,"Oct-2015",10,"Nov-2015",11,"Dec-2015",12,.......)
  2. Sort "Month year" column by "MonthYear Sort" Column 

For more details see the pbix file. Hope this will help you!!!

Download pbix file

Regards,

Angad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Angadk,

Unfortunately there isn't an ability to create  a calculated column when running a Saas direct query to a Tabular model.
Thanks for trying 🙂

Hi @Anonymous

It seems you may try to sort this in SSAS model itself as live/direct query does not have the ability to perform sorting.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers guys for the help, on another note just wondering if there was any ideas around modelling this back within the Saas tabular model so that it flows seamlessly into to powerbi?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.