Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlB
Super User
Super User

How to sort TOPN results

Hi there,

The definition of TOPN explicitly states that the function does not guarantee any sort order in its result. Imagine we have a very simple one-column table Table1:

Value

Now we create another one-column table Table2 as follows:

Table2 = TOPN(5;Table1;Table1[Value];ASC)

The result for Table2:

Value

We see that the result in Table2 is indeed not sorted. Is there any way to sort it? It'd be easy in tools like DAX Studio but how can it be done in Power BI? 

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AlB,

As far as I know, there is no reliable way. You could click the filter drop down arrow on the column and select Sort.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @AlB,

Check the attached PBIX file. I am getting the table 2 sorted by default.

sort table.png

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

Hi @affan

Thanks for your reply. It is sorted in the visual on your report, because the visual sorts it, but what I am talking about is the table itself, that you see in the Data view. That is what would be generated if I used the Table2 code somewhere else. For instance, imagine I want to get the top value from Table2, we could think of doing:

FIRSTNONBLANK ( TOPN ( 5; Table1; Table1[Value]; ASC ); 1 )

but for that to work properly I need to know the table returned by TOPN is actually sorted with the 1 on the first row. It will not necessarily be so, given how TOPN works. So how can we sort it? I know you could approach the above in a different manner but I am interested in the sorting issue.

Thanks       

@AlB,

As far as I know, there is no reliable way. You could click the filter drop down arrow on the column and select Sort.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors