Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mdaamirkhan
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to sort Month in Dynamic Change Axis ? Sorting Month name

Hello All,

I need urgent help on How to sort Month in Dynamic Change Axis ? Sorting by Month name like(Jan 2017 , Feb 2017 and so on). I have share file pbix link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxreilNC4Avsb0dVS3pqQU9HODA  .If you can help on this on my pbix and share with me it will be very helpful.

cannot sort Monthcannot sort Month

Thanks 

Aamir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks a lot for helping me but For Dynamic change Axis Month to QTR / QTR to Month switch with sorting by Month name I have wrote below dax query:

DimTable =
ADDCOLUMNS(
UNION ( CROSSJOIN(DISTINCT('Month'[Month Period]), DATATABLE("AxisDimension", STRING, { {"Month"}}), DISTINCT(Quarter[Quarter Period])),
CROSSJOIN(DISTINCT('Month'[Month Period]),DATATABLE("AxisDimension", STRING,{ {"QTR"}}), DISTINCT('Quarter'[Quarter Period])))
,"AxisValue", SWITCH([AxisDimension], "QTR", FORMAT(Quarter[Quarter Period], "0000"),"Month", 'Month'[Month Period])
,"AxisSort", SWITCH([AxisDimension], "QTR", CONCATENATE( RIGHT(Quarter[Quarter Period],4), CONCATENATE("0", RIGHT(LEFT(Quarter[Quarter Period],2),1))) ,"Month", CONCATENATE( RIGHT('Month'[Month Period],4), SWITCH(LEFT('Month'[Month Period],3), "Jan", "01", "Feb", "02", "Mar", "03", "Apr", "04", "May", "05", "Jun", "06", "Jul", "07", "Aug", "08", "Sep", "09", "Oct", "10", "Nov", "11", "Dec", "12")))
)

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This idea of having to create new columns to sort is a cluge at best. I have PBIRS and I have no option to create new columns. As well the version of PowerBI is not honoring the Cube's sort. Can you  all fix the underlying problem of not converting everything to strings and keep the data type, sort the data type appropriately...so no more hacks.

That would be helpful.

How will I sort the AxisValue column it has (QTR and Month value) in DimTable? Screenshot belowI need to sort this column AxisValueI need to sort this column AxisValue

Any update it's bit urgent.

Hi @mdaamirkhan,

As the Month Period column is a TEXT type column, it will be sorted based on the first character of Month Period values automatically in a matrix visual. 

In your scenario, to work around the issue, you can create a calculated column below: 

DateNew = SWITCH(LEFT(DimTable[Month Period],3),"Jan",DATE( RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),1,1),"Feb",Date( RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),2,1),"Mar",DATE(RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),3,1),"Apr",DATE(RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),4,1),"May",DATE(RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),5,1),"Jun",DATE(RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),6,1),"Jul",DATE(RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),7,1),"Aug",DATE( RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),8,1),"Sep",DATE(RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),9,1),"Oct",DATE(RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),10,1),"Nov",DATE( RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),11,1),"Dec",DATE(RIGHT(DimTable[Month Period],4),12,1))

Then replace Month Period as this new column DateNew in matrix Columns section, enable Date hierarchy and only keep Year and Month. 

q7.PNG

Update: Please use dummy data in PBIX file to protect your sensitive infomration. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks a lot for helping me but For Dynamic change Axis Month to QTR / QTR to Month switch with sorting by Month name I have wrote below dax query:

DimTable =
ADDCOLUMNS(
UNION ( CROSSJOIN(DISTINCT('Month'[Month Period]), DATATABLE("AxisDimension", STRING, { {"Month"}}), DISTINCT(Quarter[Quarter Period])),
CROSSJOIN(DISTINCT('Month'[Month Period]),DATATABLE("AxisDimension", STRING,{ {"QTR"}}), DISTINCT('Quarter'[Quarter Period])))
,"AxisValue", SWITCH([AxisDimension], "QTR", FORMAT(Quarter[Quarter Period], "0000"),"Month", 'Month'[Month Period])
,"AxisSort", SWITCH([AxisDimension], "QTR", CONCATENATE( RIGHT(Quarter[Quarter Period],4), CONCATENATE("0", RIGHT(LEFT(Quarter[Quarter Period],2),1))) ,"Month", CONCATENATE( RIGHT('Month'[Month Period],4), SWITCH(LEFT('Month'[Month Period],3), "Jan", "01", "Feb", "02", "Mar", "03", "Apr", "04", "May", "05", "Jun", "06", "Jul", "07", "Aug", "08", "Sep", "09", "Oct", "10", "Nov", "11", "Dec", "12")))
)

That's the same question you asked in the initial post and the answer is the same as in the initial reply.

I did that not working if you can work on my pbix file it wil helpful so I can understand where I am doing wrong

Help me 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mdaamirkhan,

In this article it is clearly explained, they also attached a PBIX file.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2017/04/02/sorting-by-month-names-in-power-bi/

Regards,

L.Meijdam

Hi,

I have messed up if you kindly create on my pbix file which I have shared it will be helpful

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mdaamirkhan,

I typed this message on my mobile phone so I am affraid I can't do that, my advice is to create a new PBIX and try to get it to work there following the steps from the article. If you can make it work with some sample data in a new PBIX you can do it to your own more advanced PBIX too with that knowledge.

Plus the added value is that after this you yourself knows how to do it, you won't achieve that if you let someone else do it for you.

Regards,

L.Meijdam

How Sort number created if it has 3 years data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mdaamirkhan,

I just looked at your PBIX file

Capture.PNG 

I think you can just make a column next to it that goes from 1-36 after that you can sort on that column that should probably give what you want.

Regards,

L.Meijdam

Can you please please help me on this on my pbix file it will be great 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mdaamirkhan,

If you add a column like this:

KEK1.PNG

You can configure your visual like this:

KEK2.PNG

If  you follow these 2 steps it should work fine in your situation, I believe you can do that yourself.

Regards,

L.Meijdam

can you please share the file with this please and how you create a ID

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mdaamirkhan,

I made the ID by hand in excel and used the option "Enter data" where I just pasted the below data. If you paste it the "Month" and "ID" will automatically be promoted to column headers.

MonthID
Jan-152015-01
Feb-152015-02
Mar-152015-03
Apr-152015-04
May-152015-05
Jun-152015-06
Jul-152015-07
Aug-152015-08
Sep-152015-09
Oct-152015-10
Nov-152015-11
Dec-152015-12
Jan-162016-01
Feb-162016-02
Mar-162016-03
Apr-162016-04
May-162016-05
Jun-162016-06
Jul-162016-07
Aug-162016-08
Sep-162016-09
Oct-162016-10
Nov-162016-11
Dec-162016-12
Jan-172017-01
Feb-172017-02
Mar-172017-03
Apr-172017-04
May-172017-05
Jun-172017-06
Jul-172017-07
Aug-172017-08
Sep-172017-09
Oct-172017-10
Nov-172017-11
Dec-172017-12

(it is important that the column "ID" is in Text format not in Date format !) 

Regards,

L.Meijdam

can you share the pbix 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mdaamirkhan,

I am afraid I cannot but what do you need it for, you have all the information you need ? Is there something you don't understand ?

Regards,

L.Meijdam

Its not working that why I need help if you do on my pbix file and share with me then it will be easy to understand. Kindly please me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.