Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bitxln
Regular Visitor

How to solve the Power BI Service credential issue

Dear Power BI Community, 

I recently encountered the dataset refresh credential issues (on-demand and auto refresher both). the working scenario and issue are described below. 

1) data source: the ms forms excel data stored in the SharePoint folder

2) create a Power BI report with the Power BI Desktop and connect it to excel through a "web" data source. The credential I used Organizational account

3) Power BI Report work fine, and my report data update once there is a data change in the SharePoint excel file (In power BI desktop)

4) publish the report to my workspace. and trying to refresh the dataset in my workspace. However, I try to put the dataset credential. The credential type has anonymous, basic and OAth2. I picked OAth2 with privacy level "Organizational", however, no matter how I try, it always fails "The OAuth authentication method isn't supported for this data source. Contact your admin....". I also tried other combinations and they don't work either. 

Can you please let me know how could I resolve the issue? Howe could I keep the published dataset up-to-date? 

Beyond that, how could I set the web power BI page publish to our whole organization? 

Thank you in advance for any comments/suggestions. 

Best,

Na

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-luwang-msft and all, 

Thank you for all the good suggestions and feedback. Finally, I find the root cause. Issue comes from the excel patch I am using. I was using the excel path generated by share point online sharing, once I update it to the path I copy from the excel info, everything is good now. 

Thank you all, always a lot of things to encounter and to learn. 

Best,

Na. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello, I think that the problem that has been described by this user, in the case I describe, is exactly the same. I have a report in PowerBI Desktop stored in a Sharepoint path. The source of the data is an excel that is located in the same path. The report in the PowerBI Desktop version synchronizes and works with excel. But when I try to update the dataset from PowerBI Services, that is, from the PowerBI app, I get the error that I show below. The Gateway is not required because I have located the files in a Sharepoint.

I share the error screen:

Increisel_0-1673279153543.png

I would appreciate your cooperation and responses.

Thank you.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bitxln ,

Try another way to get data from sharepoint.(odata)

details refer: 

Power BI: Two Way To Get Data From SharePoint List / Library

And a little point :

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/MS-Access-in-Share-Point-issue/m-p/783259 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Connecting-to-Dynamics-Marketing/m-p/35629 

In addition, you said, want the data to keep up to date at any time, you can refer to the next Power BI data refresh of this part of the content, only direct Query connection mode, the data is up to date, because when there is a user click on the report, will send real-time queries to the data, so as to get the latest data, import connection mode of data, pro users up to shcedule refresh 8 times a day, if it is premium space, you can refresh 48 times. 

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

vluwangmsft_0-1653359556128.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi @v-luwang-msft and all, 

Thank you for all the good suggestions and feedback. Finally, I find the root cause. Issue comes from the excel patch I am using. I was using the excel path generated by share point online sharing, once I update it to the path I copy from the excel info, everything is good now. 

Thank you all, always a lot of things to encounter and to learn. 

Best,

Na. 

Thanks this worked!

For anyone else with this issue in Excel in the start screen Go Home -> Recent Files -> find the file and click the 3 dots then select "Copy path".

This gave me a path like:

https://<company>.sharepoint.com/sites/<site>/<folder>/file.xlsx

whereas befor i had a path like:

https://<company>.sharepoint.com/:x/r/sites/<site>/<folder>/file.xlsx

With the extra "/:x/r" that worked in PBI desktop but online gave the OAuth not supported error.

What is your solution to solve the issue. Which excel path should be used? I would appreciate your cooperation and responsens. Thank you!

bitxln
Regular Visitor

@amitchandak Hi Amitchandak, 

Could you please help to check this issue? Thank you in advance. 

Best,

Na

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.