Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jshull
Employee
Employee

How to show project health changes over time, by manager?

Hello! 

I've got a little challenge here. First, here's a pic of the line graph I'm working with. This viz compares the average health of each manager's project portfolio. Projects are simply labeled Green/Yellow/Red to indicate their health. In order to make this line graph-friendly, I did some basic power query to make Green=3, Yellow=2, and Red=1. This is all connected to a massive .csv, not a live database. 

The data: example below. There's about 100k rows of this, one row per week of data, for thousands of projects. I only put three "health metrics" in here - Overall, Financial, and Customer Happiness - in reality I have a dozen of these to monitor. This example should be fine for discussion though.

Project ID Manager Date Overall Status Financial Status Customer Happiness Status 
123456Trevor10/26/20GreenGreenGreen
123456Trevor10/19/20YellowGreenYellow
123456Trevor10/12/20YellowGreenYellow
9876Lisa10/26/20RedRedGreen
9876Lisa10/19/20YellowYellowGreen
9876Lisa10/12/20GreenGreenGreen

The challenge: I want to enable managers to glance at the line graph, see downwards trends, then find what specific projects changed health to create that trend. Managers should be able to answer the question "what projects brought my average health rating down here?"

• This isn't as simple as creating a table that only shows "Red" projects for that manager - we need to see what projects changed their health status from green to yellow/red in the selected time period...and then exactly which health metric(s) changed.
  • Example: Lisa notices a downwards trend in her average project health ratings in early September. She slices the date range to reflect that time period, and looks at another viz on the report page to see: three of her projects changed to "Red" in the Financial health area. Now Lisa can go investigate those projects, with an eye towards finances. 

My questions on this are pretty simple: 

1. How might this be done? 
  2. What's the best/most intuitive way to display the results for non-techy managers?

Thanks a million in advance!

1 REPLY 1
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jshull ,

According to the sample data you provided,I cant figure out how to get the result in your example:as for Lisa,it should be a upwards trend in the project,the status in December(December 10) is showing green.

Could you provide more sample data with expected output to make your requirement more clearer?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.