Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sridevi
Helper I
Helper I

How to show/display slicer selection values in text box/charts dynamically as for title purpose

Hi,

Is it possible for me to display my slicer selection values in the labels or text field for title purpose.

I want to display my slicer value(filter data) which I selected from slicer into text field or data label or charts. In below snapshot I have selected NEB No Sardegna from Region slicer and DEMEGLIO from Sales Person slicer.

Capture.JPG

Now I am trying to show these two selected value to my report like as below in text box automatically. If I changed my filters then text box should be updated automatically based on slicer selections.  Basic aim was I need to display my slicer selections values as title or show in charts dynamically.

text lable.JPG

I wanted to know wheter it is possible in power bi. Since I am beginner for power bi. Please guide me how to do this if anyone knows?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sridevi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sridevi,

This blog post from Chris Webb have an exact solution for your problem.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Rick_Henkel

I'm interested in a variation on the dynamic text issue, specifically: is there a way to capture the current Hign and Low dates when using a slider as a date range slicer? Not the "is on or after/before" minimum and maximum of the filter, but the current User selected date range.

Thanks for the tip but this does not work when I'm editing my Tabular model in Visual Studio, it's as if Visual Studio sees a different version of DAX than PowerBI or PowerPivot does. 

I've come across many formulae that people advise work just fine in  PowerBI or PowerPivot, but when I'm editing my  Tabular model in Visual Studio, they are not recognised.

CONCATENATEX is such an example, 

The Error List advises:  "Failed to resolve name CONCATENATEX. It is not a valid table or function name"

If anyone can prvide any suggestions or help I'd very much appreciate it

Thanks

Fergal

Hi @FergalK

You can use TabularEditor to write those formulas and Use BISM Normalizer to bring back in SSDT by comparing the models.

It is worthwhile to check what compatibility version of analysis services are you using. Is it 2012,2016 or 2017?

Power BI has latest DAX features and it might be the case that you are using older versions of SSAS.

https://github.com/otykier/TabularEditor

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

thanks Bhavesh, I will check this out

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sridevi,

This blog post from Chris Webb have an exact solution for your problem.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Nice. But, it does not have a method to display "all" when all are selected. 
i.e. if a sub-level of a slicer contains a slew of values then you will have a problem displaying a large list of values in a card for instance.

It would be nice to be able to "switch" or "case" and just return a scalar value, such as "all".

I was able to achieve the "All" with this DAX measure:

//Get the count of values for the entire table. In my case, the column I was filtering on is not distinct. If yours is, you can remove the DISTINCT portions
VAR _TotalCount = SUMX(DISTINCT(ALL('TableThatFilters'[ColumnThatFilters])),1)
//Get the total amount of current selection, removing any filters that may have been applied through other columns. In my case, sometimes there are blanks, so I use 1 +. Other columns that don't have blanks don't need 1 +.
VAR _CurrentCount = 
1 + SUMX(
    CALCULATETABLE(
        DISTINCT('TableThatFilters'[ColumnThatFilters]),
        ALLEXCEPT('TableThatFilters', 'TableThatFilters'[ColumnThatFilters])
    )
)
//Basic if statment. If your Total count is equal to your current then return ALL, otherwise, return the concatenated field. Unichar(10) is my separator to make every item selected appear on a new line.
VAR _Value = 
IF(
    _TotalCount = _CurrentCount,
    "ALL",
    CONCATENATEX(DISTINCT('TableThatFilters'[ColumnThatFilters]), 'TableThatFilters'[ColumnThatFilters], UNICHAR(10))
)
RETURN _Value

Hi @BhaveshPatel,

Thanks a lot for sharing this blog. It was really useful for me. I can do my scripts according to my requirement.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Sridevi  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.