Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

anchal5335
Helper I
Helper I

How to show detailed Labels (% and count both) for clustered column chart visualization?

Hello,

I am a newbie to Power BI. I was just wondering if there is any to show both the % and count value with category name in data labels of clustered column chart visualization?

I can see that option for a pie-chart and a donut wherein you can show detailed data labels (%, count and category name) ? Can the same also be achieved in other visualizations particularly clustered column chart because as per my understanding I can see that either it shows the count or % value but not both!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Anchal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the pie chart you need to make it bigger or try another visual.  If you don't mind ads or can pay for the pro version the Drill Down Donut chart is very slick.  I will also do 100% Row or Columns charts instead of PIE charts. 

For the labels if you make the 2nd Y Axis MAX 1000% it will force all the labels to be at the bottom as I demonstrated.

capture20180719153930719.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @anchal5335,

In all the visuals the last option on the fields is the Tooltips you can add as much fields as you need to show when you over over the values.

tooltips.png

The visual above does a sum of value and I added the Text in the tooltip and also % weigth that is a measure I created with the % of the specific value divided by total of all catagories.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi MFelix,

Thanks for your reply.

But the problem is that I want to show the count and % both as "data label" values for all the bars of histogram, so that at one shot everything is visible (and not by hovering over each bar of histogram individually). Basically what I have seen is that in histograms it shows data labels either as a count or % but how to show both?

Is there any value to do that?

@anchal5335Power BI does not handle alternate or customer data labels very well but here is a hack that might work for you.

Make your chart a Line and Column Mixed chart put the Count on the Columns and PCT on the Line. 

In the formatting panel

1. Turn on Data Lables
  2. Under Y Axis be sure Show Secondary is turned on and make the text color the same as your background if you want to hide it
  3. Under Shapes set the Sroke Width to 0 and show markers off (this turns off the line and you only see the labels

You get what you asked for but I don't really like the way its laid out - inconsitent placment sometime % is below the Value and other time above. You may need to play with the secondary axis scaling ( i.e. to push the values for PCT towards the botom of the bars set the Maximum to 1000%)

Here is an example

capture20180719014216875.png

Hi @Seward12533

Thanks for your help! This was indeed helful. Can you please explain how to do this?

" You may need to play with the secondary axis scaling ( i.e. to push the values for PCT towards the botom of the bars set the Maximum to 1000%)"

I could now display both count and % values, just not happy with the placing of line values. If any bar of the histogram is tiny then its placing is wierd. So it was be really helpful if you could also guide on that!

Also, one more thing- at times pie-chart/donut chart do not show all the data labels, how to work out that so that it shows all the data labels (like some don't show up and we can only see the name and count by hovering over it)?

I have been struggling on these for my presentation since past few days, so it would be really helpful if you could guide on that.

Thanks,

Anchal

For the pie chart you need to make it bigger or try another visual.  If you don't mind ads or can pay for the pro version the Drill Down Donut chart is very slick.  I will also do 100% Row or Columns charts instead of PIE charts. 

For the labels if you make the 2nd Y Axis MAX 1000% it will force all the labels to be at the bottom as I demonstrated.

capture20180719153930719.png

Thanks for sharing 

I couldn't reproduce that 

Its possible to share a .pbix example?

Can you please share the pbix file as it seems the one drive link is expired.

Thank you, this was of great help! Appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.