Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abeiswinger
Helper I
Helper I

How to show comments/annotations on chart?

I have specific data that may or may not have comments.  Right now, I'm using a separate visual (table) to show the comment text but I would like it to show in the annotation bubble that appears when data is hovered over.  Is this feature available?

Purple arrow is showing my comments,

Red arrow is showing where I would like to comments to appear when certain months are highlighted or filtered.

annotation.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @abeiswinger,

Have you tried the solution provided by @TomMartens above? Does it work in your scenario? If it works, could you accept it as solution to close this thread?

If you still have any question on this issue, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ankitha
Employee
Employee

Is it possible to have annotations persisted instead of appearing only when hovered. Similar to this With annotations | Highcharts.com

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @abeiswinger,

Have you tried the solution provided by @TomMartens above? Does it work in your scenario? If it works, could you accept it as solution to close this thread?

If you still have any question on this issue, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you can create a calculated column that "pulls" the comment from your separate "comment" table into the table that provides the xaxis for your bar chart.

After doing this, you can drag the column to the tooltip bucket of your barchart and the comment will appear in the "annotation bubble".

If you need further assistance by creating the calculation it would be helpful, if you would describe your table structure and maybe you could also provide sample data.

Hope this helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply - I'm not sure how to create a calculated column to pull the data from the column table.

The datasource is an excel spreadsheet that looks similar to this:

Column A = City

Column B = Month

Column C = Department

Column D = Planned budget

Column E= Actual budget

Column F = Difference between planned vs. actual

Column G = Comments (why it was over/under budget)

Hey,

please provide a link to an excel file on onedrive or sharepoint, that contains your sample data.

Regards

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

I am facing same issue, can you please explain calculated column with an example

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.