Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How to show Annual YTD Plan Numbers when Dataset is Full Year

We have a Sales Plan by month for the full fiscal year. When I use the YTD Function it takes the data for the whole year. This is okay if I want to show it by month, but our teams need to compare YTD Plan and Actuals for the total YTD - as well as with Last Year.

Here are examples of my formulas:

YTD Total Orders AOP = TOTALYTD([Total Orders AOP], 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], "9/30")
YTD Total Revenue AOP = TOTALYTD([Total Revenue AOP], 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], "9/30")

YTD Total Revenue Actual = TOTALYTD([Total Revenue Converted], 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], "9/30")

Prior YTD Total Revenue = CALCULATE([YTD Total Revenue Converted], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(RA_Daily_Calendar[Date]))

When I show by month and year it is good:

Capture.PNG

However, I need to show Current YTD figures only, like this:

Capture2.PNG

YTD Actuals show correct YTD because that's the only data there is. So, is there a simple way to accomplish the PLAN and PRIOR Year totals for YTD only. I created a YTD flag on my calendar, and can use this as a filter on the visual or the expression, but then it doesn't work for Prior Year because I cannot figure out how to create the correct flag.

Please help if you can. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share the link from where i can download your PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Shelley,

Not really sure what you want to achieve and what's the error you are getting.

Can you provide some sample data and the result you are getting vs what you need to have,

Another question this is to use on PBI or Power Query excel, asking this because your images look like excel based.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello @MFelix and @Ashish_Mathur,

This is a late reply, but this is still an issue for me. I am using Power BI - just used Excel for the images above as our actual data is confidential (which also makes it difficult for me to create a simple PBIX file to share with you). The TOTALYTD Function works fine for starting the summation at the fiscal year, but what I find is it is no good for an end date of YTD. For example, let's say we have a fiscal year that ends on 9/30, so October begins the summation. Let's say we have now closed the books on March sales. So, TOTALYTD for actuals for the current year and prior year work with these expressions:

YTD Total Revenue Actual = TOTALYTD([Total Revenue Converted], 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], "9/30")

Prior YTD Total Revenue = CALCULATE([YTD Total Revenue Converted], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(RA_Daily_Calendar[Date]))

This seems to work because there is NO more data for actuals after March in the current year.

However, we have plan (AOP) numbers loaded for the full year. If I use similar formulas for summing the AOP plan YTD, it again begins summing in October, but sums the FULL year, thru September because there is plan data in the data table. For example, this expression returns the entire year's plan.

YTD Total Revenue AOP = TOTALYTD([Total Revenue AOP], 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], "9/30")

So, in my table above, the Revenue Plan total, using this expression is 1195, but it should instead show 595.

I've worked my way around this using a number of methods, but nothing seems ideal. I'm wondering how you or others find the best way to handle these situations?

Here are some expressions I've used:

FYTD Revenue AOP = 
    IF(MAX('RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date]) > TODAY(), BLANK(), CALCULATE(TOTALYTD([Total Revenue AOP], 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], ALLSELECTED(RA_Daily_Calendar[Date]),"9/30")))

In another application, I've put a YTD Flag in my calendar:

Flag: YTD =
    IF('RA_Daily_Calendar'[Fiscal_Month] <=
        LOOKUPVALUE('RA_Daily_Calendar'[Fiscal_Month], RA_Daily_Calendar[Date], MAX('Actual Revenue Table'[Posting_date])),
            1,0)

And then used it in the formula as a filter:

FYTD Revenue AOP = 
    'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], ALLSELECTED(RA_Daily_Calendar[Date]),"9/30")))
   TOTALYTD(SUM('AOP'[AOP Revenue Value]), 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Flag: YTD] = 1, "09/30") 

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated. These YTD expressions seem to cause me so much consternation. I just can't find an approach that I'm confident in using consistently. Thanks!

Hi,

What result do you get when you try this

YTD Total Revenue AOP = TOTALYTD([Total Revenue AOP], 'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date], "9/30")-CALCULATE([Total Revenue AOP],'RA_Daily_Calendar'[Date]>TODAY())

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.