Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rax99
Helper V
Helper V

How to share datasets across 2 organisation/tenants

I have a secure server where I have installed a Datagateway. 

Right now, I have published a dataset from the server to my online app.powerbi. I've tied this dataset to the data gateway on the server so I can query the underlying data as and when I need it.

I have an external user who requires access to this dataset. The external user has been created on our tenant. Even when I add the ext user to the workspace where the dataset sits, he still cannot access/view it. The only way he can access the data is if I provide him with the tenant link (app.powerbi >Settings>about>tenant link). The only problem with this way is he cant then join this data to his own data from his own tenant/org. 

How can we share data across tenants etc?

Note. We all have PowerBi Pro licenses. Also, the official documentation does not correctly/sufficiently explain if this can be achieved or not.

Any help would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rax99 

You didn't do anything wrong. As far as I can tell, it's by design.
I'll use an example to explain this.
When external user A is invited into tenant B,user A will have a new account within tenant B that belongs to tenant B,let's say account A1.

vangzhengmsft_0-1637634629042.png

Account A and account A1 do not share a workspace. User A belongs to tenant A, and account A1 belongs to tenant B. How to share datasets between tenant A and tenant B?

After my research, there is no direct way to do this, downloading PBIX files from Tenant B and uploading them to Tenant A is a workaround.

I have thought of adding the shared workspace directly to the external user's own tenant, with an icon to indicate that it is an external shared workspace. It would be great if this idea is realized in the future. There may be better ways to achieve this in the future. Let us look forward to it

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rax99 

You didn't do anything wrong. As far as I can tell, it's by design.
I'll use an example to explain this.
When external user A is invited into tenant B,user A will have a new account within tenant B that belongs to tenant B,let's say account A1.

vangzhengmsft_0-1637634629042.png

Account A and account A1 do not share a workspace. User A belongs to tenant A, and account A1 belongs to tenant B. How to share datasets between tenant A and tenant B?

After my research, there is no direct way to do this, downloading PBIX files from Tenant B and uploading them to Tenant A is a workaround.

I have thought of adding the shared workspace directly to the external user's own tenant, with an icon to indicate that it is an external shared workspace. It would be great if this idea is realized in the future. There may be better ways to achieve this in the future. Let us look forward to it

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rax99 , You can do it user Azure B2B : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b.

Also, make sure tenant settings are enabled

Abstract Thesis Part 35: Tenant- External User Share Setting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVG8IYpIB8&list=PLPaNVDMhUXGY-63A0jOksU-DrNI7g2aQF&index=6

Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization settings have all been enabled but still this does not work. He cant see the content in his portal/tenant. He can only view it through the Tenant link (from about page)

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is there something else that does not allow sharing across different organisations?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.