Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to share dashboard to others with edit authorization

Hello Team,

I would like to know how to share my report with co-workers with edit access? They should also refresh data and basically have all access to modify. We are already working with the source files in the sharepoint which is commonly shared.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

For what you want to achieve, you can create an App Workspace and then make your co-workers Members with Edit permissions in the App Workspace you create.

This will allow them to edit, refresh and make changes to existing reports and dashboards in the App Workspace.

Here is more details around App Workspaces: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-collaborate-with-your-power-bi-group/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @GilbertQ

Will the co-worker be able to edit the data as well? the requirement is to update the data monthly by different people actually.

Is that possible?

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Are you talking about write back service i.e writing data to backend databases?

This is not possible in Power BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Sunkari @GilbertQ

So, Can I say that person who is creating the model can only edit and do the calculation and the people to whom the data is shared can only modify the dashboards but cannot edit the queries??? Is my understanding correct?

or in other words, Is it not possible to someone to add data to an excel sheet in sharepoint and then refresh the data that others have created? Hope it throws error too or will it actually work?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Anonymous

That is correct that currently only one person can create the model and edit the queries. Unless you send the PBIX file to another person who makes some changes and uploads it into the same App Workspace. But that still means that only one person can edit and make changes at a time.

If your source data is from Excel in SharePoint and you are using the Gateway to refresh the data, then the data will be refreshed based on your Gateway schedule that you have created.

Unless I do not understand your question correctly?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.