Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thuantv
Helper I
Helper I

How to set parameter with user login to powerbi

Dear Everyone

Our company have 34 hotel with centralized database for accouting system.

We have already integrate this database to Amazon cloud and make Powerbi report in this database.

How can i set parameter that automatically recognize the usernam login to Powerbi desktop.

And how can prevent user from changing the value applied in parameter because our confidential information policy do not allow each hotel can see data of another hotel.

(Note: Please do not mention to row level security because we want user can download PBIX file from webservice to make report by themselves, RLS on work with Workspace access - Viewer).

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi ,

Believe you should create this restriction on the server side since you want users to do reports them self.

You should add the RLS at the amazon Cloud and not go trough parameters because it will be more ineffective and susceptible to have users seeing other information.

Check the link below with explanation of this option.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/quicksight/latest/user/restrict-access-to-a-data-set-using-row-level-sec...

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix 

If I set Row level security in Microsoft webservice or Amazon webservice. User can download report as PBIX file and make another report or check detail accuracy of information on PowerBI desktop.

Because if i only set RLS on Microsoft webservice, and set "Contributor access" on workspace, they can see every data on PBIX file.

If you add the RLS at server side they will only access information that they are allowed to in desktop or service so for me a better option.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.