Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerVenca
Frequent Visitor

How to set a minimum/start for X-axis

Hello,

I was wondering, if there is a some way to set a start of a X-axis according the lowest number or possibility of lowering the minimum.

I have a stacked bar chart showing sum of four values per unit. Three of them are from columns (negative numbers are possible), one is from a calculated measure (which is always positive number).

As you can see at the picture below, one value for unit ED is very small (just half a million), but the minimum value for x-axis is set to 20 millions, so the gap between unit labels and values is too big.

The black vertical line is just a reference line set to 0.

HugeGap.PNG

So, how can I lower this "ugly" gap:-)

Thanks for an answer.

10 REPLIES 10
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@PowerVenca

You can try this... Select your Visualization and then change the start value of the x-axis

However my experience has been that you can either go to zero hide all negative numbers

Or no matter what number you put in it will not change the chart

Unless it is an increment of 20mil (in your case) - the same increment you have on the positive side

Its kind of annoying because most the time the negatives are so small (you can barely see them) and yet they take a lot of space

Min Value - X-Axis.png

Hello @Sean,

Thanks for an answer, I appreciate it. I know I can manually set the start of the x-axis, but I meant if there is a way to set it automatically according the lowest number in the dataset (sorry I didn't mention it before).

It doesn't affect the functionality, it just looks bad in certain situations.

But I guess I just have to wait until the PowerBI team solve it or offer some alternative...

Thanks again.

Hi PowerVenca, 

I agree with Sean that you need to manually set the start of the x-axis. For your idea about setting a minimum start for X-axis automatically according the lowest number in the dataset, you can post it on the Power BI Idea forum. I will also report the idea internally. 

Hello @Vicky_Song,

Thanks for suggestion. I will post the idea (hopefully not already posted) on the forum.

Hi @PowerVenca,

Did you ever post this as an idea? I would like to vote it if you did. 

Thank you.

Hello, @mtomas

Yes I posted it a few months ago. Here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13405614-add-option-for-an-automa...

But I guess that I was alone with this problem...

Anonymous
Not applicable

In your case you could use filters

One way is to drag the measures to the visuals filter and go to advanced filters and choose only show equal or higher etc.

Trivial stuff really

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Enlighten me and @PowerVenca - Exactly how would that change the scaling on the chart?

Trivial Stuff Really?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally misred the original question. Didn't mean to come off as arrogant with the "trivial" comment but here goes:

Capture.PNG

In the case above I've manually excluded all values below the inserted value for this visualization.

Either do:

1) In @PowerVencas case; put this value to zero firsty because because negative values seem to be irrelevant to his data visualization and second because BOOM... the gap is gone.

2) this manually and create calculated column with SomeMeasureName = IF((YourNumLine) < 0 , 0 , 'YourNumLine')

lets say negative values are important, 0.1% of the total or more, then ignore this answer 🙂

With respect and hopefully help

Hello @Anonymous,

Thanks for an answer. I appreciate it (and I don´t take it as arrogant;-)).

The negative numbers are not always shown, but in certain situations they are and it´s important (relevant) in this report (and in other reports I´ve created) that user can see them. So I can´t just "hide" them.

But again, thanks for an answer anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.