Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to sequence a missing key value? - For example N/As should become Missing_N

Hello dear experts, 

I know this might raise some questions w.r.t data integrity, but I'm trying to understand the capabilities of Power BI, so please allow me to.

I have a problem where I don't have the "Ref Key" field, however, I have N/A (with duplicates) in the key column. So everytime I have to remove N/A to make some joins with Ref Key field.

jonnaamb_1-1598020987957.png

Instead, I wish to replace it with "Missing_N" where N is a counter. That means all the N/As should become sequenced - Missing_1, Missing_2, Missing_3 without affecting the existing Ref Key. Is this possible?

Kind regards,

Ambareesh.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you add an index column to your table at query edit side, then you can use the following calculated column to replace raw ref values:

Replaced Refkey =
IF (
    [Ref key] = BLANK (),
    " Missing_"
        & COUNTROWS (
            FILTER ( Table, [Ref key] = BLANK () && [Index] <= EARLIER ( [Index] ) )
        ),
    [Ref key]
)

Create Index Columns Using Power Query 
Regards.

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you add an index column to your table at query edit side, then you can use the following calculated column to replace raw ref values:

Replaced Refkey =
IF (
    [Ref key] = BLANK (),
    " Missing_"
        & COUNTROWS (
            FILTER ( Table, [Ref key] = BLANK () && [Index] <= EARLIER ( [Index] ) )
        ),
    [Ref key]
)

Create Index Columns Using Power Query 
Regards.

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , for that you need some incremental column

add index column

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45715963/creating-an-index-column-for-power-bi

then try a new column like

" Missing_" & countx(filter(Table, [Ref key] = earlier([Ref Key])  && [Index] < earlier([Index]) , [Ref Key])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @amitchandak ,

I tried the formula, but it throws an error. Kindly check again.

Expression.Error: The name 'CountX' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

Thanks,

Ambareesh

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.