Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to seperate report from data model

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to environment so this question may be very easy.

I have a quite complex and big data model and created several report based same model via Get Data-PowerBI Dataset
But in the beginning-before I publish it to PowerBI app- I created a report on it. Afterwards I use it as a source for other reports. So other reports size is around 15kb-20kb but source has 150mb since it holds views,tables etc.
Now I want to seperate first report from the model and save it as dependent report like other reports?

Is there a way to make it instead of creating new report and do same report all over again?

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To save the report as a pbix should help you. Please refer to the online document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix

In your scenario, to find the report that you can download is the key point. The report must have been created by using Power BI Desktop and published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix file must have been uploaded to the Power BI service.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To save the report as a pbix should help you. Please refer to the online document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix

In your scenario, to find the report that you can download is the key point. The report must have been created by using Power BI Desktop and published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix file must have been uploaded to the Power BI service.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

you can achive this by swapping the data source.

To do this open the orginal report and save as a new version (will need a diffrent name so doesnt over write the dataset)

go to transform data

delete all the tables 

click close an apply 

your report will reload and everything will say error 

go to get data and select bi datamodel 

when you click apply your report should reload with he new data set 

let me know if you get any issues

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.