Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

psikonetik
Helper I
Helper I

How to see info of the trend line

Hi all,

I have a graph where I have included the trend line from the analytics pane. Is it possible to see its value? With tooltip better.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Definitely not a simple option like a tooltip, but @Greg_Deckler wrote a blog article about forecasting, correlation and seasonality in Power BI some time ago.  He provides a process to calculate slope and intercept (for a linear regression), but this is likely the same value that the trend line calculates (I'm unsure how the built in trend line caclulates slope, as in does it use Least Squares to fit the line or something simple like (Y2 - Y1)/(X2 - X1)).

Perhaps it will provide you what you need:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Correlation-Seasonality-and-Forecasting-with-Power-B...

You would take the values (slope and intercept) and concantenate them into a string that you could put on a card/text visual.

In the first reply to this post I included this link and said

Look at the links here

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Generate-Forecast-Value-in-a-Table/m-p/107843#M45288

This link takes you to @Anonymous's response which includes another 4 links and 1 of them is the blog article!

@dkay84_PowerBI wrote:

Definitely not a simple option..............

...................or something simple like (Y2 - Y1)/(X2 - X1)).

Smiley Tongue

@Sean that's too many nested layers, like Inception.  I didn't follow your first link to begin with Smiley Wink

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@psikonetikYes basically all other lines let you display the Value except the Trendline

Therefore if you want a Tooltip you'll have to write the Measure that duplicates the built-in calculation

If I recall @kcantor was asking about this forecasting feature - what formula/model they use to come up with the trendline?

(in a post which I can't seem to find now)

Look at all the links here

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Generate-Forecast-Value-in-a-Table/m-p/107843#M45288

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean

The only information I ever found was that the forcasting was based upon Exponential Smoothing. Information on this  particular feature seems a little hard to find.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

mmm interesting so seems there is a hole here right?

Should be really easy to implement it as a feature

I would like to know more about this feature as well. Just having a line doesn't really answer any questions.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@psikonetikand @kcantor  Okay here's my 2 cents worth Smiley Wink

I believe this done for legal reasons (I hope I'm wrong and this becomes available though)

This is kind of predictive/forecasting feature potentially opens up the provider to legal liability (especially one with deep pockets)

Similar predictive real-time stock price ranges are available (although the model there is different and based on STD DEV)

However each time you turn it on you have to read a disclaimer and click to agree that this is not a guarantee blah blah etc.....

Again this is purely a speculation though! Smiley Happy

Maybe they are waiting on their Legal to draft a disclaimer pop up message Smiley Very Happy

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean,

Once again I believe you are correct. I would, however, suggest that they have the disclaimer ready to go as soon as the web team figures out how to fit it into a single pop up window without using chapter numbers and a font size of 0.0002.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Smiley LOL Isn't that the truth?

"Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties described in our..."

Their Investor Relations page appropriately uses PBI to show their financials

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/trended/yearly-income-statements.aspx

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.