Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GoingIncognito
Advocate III
Advocate III

How to save percentage as a variable in DAX

Hi.

My question is simple: How do I save a percentage as a variable in DAX? In order to count Sharpe's ratio I'd need to perform a following calculation:
Profit - (-0,25%) / volatility. How do I save the -0,25% as a variable? Only way I figured was to make a measure containing -0,25 and then change the data type to percentage.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think you need to understand a bit more about how percentages are saved, so here we go.
When a percentage is saved in Power BI it is saved as a decimal number (0,75) = 75%. When you select the modeling as percentage power bi is very smart and knows you want to see 75%. So it does that for you. 
When calculating tho you would (most of the cases) use 0.75. Because if i want to calculate 75% of 1000 i can do 1000*0.75=750.
hence he said you might want to do it *100. (0.75*100=75%)

So to get back to your initial question when you save a measure with -0.25 and make it a percentage. The percentage is -25%. Calulating with -0.25% would be -0.0025.

i hope this helps 🙂

Quality over Quantity

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.