Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GoingIncognito
Advocate III
Advocate III

How to save percentage as a variable in DAX

Hi.

My question is simple: How do I save a percentage as a variable in DAX? In order to count Sharpe's ratio I'd need to perform a following calculation:
Profit - (-0,25%) / volatility. How do I save the -0,25% as a variable? Only way I figured was to make a measure containing -0,25 and then change the data type to percentage.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think you need to understand a bit more about how percentages are saved, so here we go.
When a percentage is saved in Power BI it is saved as a decimal number (0,75) = 75%. When you select the modeling as percentage power bi is very smart and knows you want to see 75%. So it does that for you. 
When calculating tho you would (most of the cases) use 0.75. Because if i want to calculate 75% of 1000 i can do 1000*0.75=750.
hence he said you might want to do it *100. (0.75*100=75%)

So to get back to your initial question when you save a measure with -0.25 and make it a percentage. The percentage is -25%. Calulating with -0.25% would be -0.0025.

i hope this helps 🙂

Quality over Quantity

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
rajulshah
Super User
Super User

Hello @GoingIncognito,

You can either save the format as Percentage:

VAR PercentValue = FORMAT([Your Expression],"Percent")

But if you want to use that variable in a calculation, you can use it like:

VAR PercentValue = [Your Expression]*100

Let me know if this is not what you want.

Do I follow your reasoning if I say that, Format() returns a string (eventhough I want a number). BUT as DAX is such a high level language, it automagically treats a string as a number when I use it in a calculation? 

Yes, FORMAT returns string, you can either multiply by 100 or you can also use VALUE(FORMAT([Your Expression,"Percent")), but not sure if it works. Easiest solution is to multiply with 100.

Hello @GoingIncognito, did the solution work for you?

If yes, please mark the answer as solution so that others can find the solution easily.

Thanks.

The format option doesn't work - unfortunately - and I'm too stupid a person to comprehend how multiplyin by a hundred would help?

Didn't understand your question. Can you provide the measure here where you need to convert into Percentage?

Oh yes, indeed, I should have done so in the first place! Thank you for your patience.

My measure is something like:

Sharpe  =

var risk free interest = (how can I save a percentage value here?)

return
divide( (3,3% - risk free interest ) , 10,8%)

I get the values 3,3% and 10,8% as measures. And for a measure I can set the data format to be percentage. But risk free interest I would like to input as a variable within the measure. How can I save a percentage value to a variable?

I think you need to understand a bit more about how percentages are saved, so here we go.
When a percentage is saved in Power BI it is saved as a decimal number (0,75) = 75%. When you select the modeling as percentage power bi is very smart and knows you want to see 75%. So it does that for you. 
When calculating tho you would (most of the cases) use 0.75. Because if i want to calculate 75% of 1000 i can do 1000*0.75=750.
hence he said you might want to do it *100. (0.75*100=75%)

So to get back to your initial question when you save a measure with -0.25 and make it a percentage. The percentage is -25%. Calulating with -0.25% would be -0.0025.

i hope this helps 🙂

Quality over Quantity

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

YES! Of course -0.25% is -0.0025! Silly me for not thinking about this! Thank you so much!

Great! @GoingIncognito 

Please mark the answer as solution.

@GoingIncognito,

So, if the value is 0.25, if you convert it into Percentage it is 25%, right?

So, you can just do 0.25*100 = 25.

Please let me know if this wasn't clear enough to understand.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors