cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
smearp Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

How to right outer join instead of crossfilter visualizations?

I have a star schema w/ a Customer table, a Product table, and a Transactions table. I have a Total Sales measure

Total Sales = Calculate(SUM('Transaction'[Amount])).

On my Power BI design surface, I have two tables...  One shows detail as "Customer --> Product --> Amount", and the other shows "Product --> Customer --> Amount".

When I click on a product in the top table, it filters the bottom table to that specific customer/product combination (as expected). My desired behavior is to click on a product in the top table, and have it filter to that product in the bottom table, but show ALL customers in the bottom table.

How could I accomplish this?  Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xicai Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: How to right outer join instead of crossfilter visualizations?

Hi @smearp ,

You can create relationships between these table as you said above, and change the Cross filter direction from Single to Both, which will take them treated as a single table.

1.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

3 REPLIES 3
edhans New Contributor
New Contributor

If you want to show customers related to the products you filtered on, you need to enable bi-directional cross-filtering in the relationship view between products and sales, and customers and sales. Otherwise the product filter will filter sales, but will not carry through to filter customers.

Super Contributor

Hi @smearp ,

You can create relationships between these table as you said above, and change the Cross filter direction from Single to Both, which will take them treated as a single table.

1.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Super Contributor

Hi  @smearp ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case.

Best regards

Amy Cai