Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ah12
Frequent Visitor

How to return the column name based on max value

Hi all, 

my first post is a begging post but as I'm in love with Power Query and Power Pivot I will try to be back to help others in the future !  Right now, I've failed to find a solution after a lot of googling.

I have thousands of rows/records with columns for date, ID, etc and also 50 columns with decimal values (in Power Query first, then will be loaded in to Power Pivot) - I have found the max value of the values in the 50 columns for each row, by using List.Max.

I now need to know WHERE the max value appeared - so I need to return the column name for the max value in each row.  I tried adding a calculated column and the closest I got was using Table.ColumnNames but got an error message and I'm not sure what to do next,

Thanks in advance

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ah12,

I didn't find a Power Query function that can directly return a column name. Maybe you could try below clumsy workaround.

1. Add a index column.

1.PNG 

2. Choose [Index] column then unpivot other columns to change table structure to below:

2.PNG

3. Get the max value in each row grouped by index.

3.PNG

4. Expand the expansion. And add a custom column to return relative column name whose value is max.

4.PNG

5. Remove unnecessary columns, then, pivot table.

5.PNG

6. Please refer to this thread to concatenate grouped values.

Below is the M code for your reference:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\Sample Data.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Get Column Name_Sheet" = Source{[Item="Get Column Name",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Get Column Name_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}, {"Column3", Int64.Type}, {"Column4", Int64.Type}, {"Column5", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", {"Index"}, {{"Max Per Row", each List.Max([Value]), type number}, {"expansion", each _, type table}}),
    #"Expanded expansion" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "expansion", {"Attribute", "Value"}, {"expansion.Attribute", "expansion.Value"}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded expansion", "Relative Column", each if [expansion.Value] = [Max Per Row] then [expansion.Attribute] else null),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Max Per Row"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[expansion.Attribute]), "expansion.Attribute", "expansion.Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ah12,

I didn't find a Power Query function that can directly return a column name. Maybe you could try below clumsy workaround.

1. Add a index column.

1.PNG 

2. Choose [Index] column then unpivot other columns to change table structure to below:

2.PNG

3. Get the max value in each row grouped by index.

3.PNG

4. Expand the expansion. And add a custom column to return relative column name whose value is max.

4.PNG

5. Remove unnecessary columns, then, pivot table.

5.PNG

6. Please refer to this thread to concatenate grouped values.

Below is the M code for your reference:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\Sample Data.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Get Column Name_Sheet" = Source{[Item="Get Column Name",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Get Column Name_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}, {"Column3", Int64.Type}, {"Column4", Int64.Type}, {"Column5", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", {"Index"}, {{"Max Per Row", each List.Max([Value]), type number}, {"expansion", each _, type table}}),
    #"Expanded expansion" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "expansion", {"Attribute", "Value"}, {"expansion.Attribute", "expansion.Value"}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded expansion", "Relative Column", each if [expansion.Value] = [Max Per Row] then [expansion.Attribute] else null),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Max Per Row"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[expansion.Attribute]), "expansion.Attribute", "expansion.Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft

Thank you very much. I didn't find that clumsy at all - especially as I still do so much using the ribbon buttons. And it goes to show how powerful Power Query can be without writing M. I found a function called Record.FieldNames when I was trying to solve it but I need to develop my knowledge a bit more to actually use it.

Thanks again. 

ah12
Frequent Visitor

Maybe I should have said, I don't mind if I do this in power query when I am loading the data, or in power pivot when I'm building the data model. Thanks again. 

ah12
Frequent Visitor

I'm not going to mark this as solved as, technically, I didn't solve it by returning the column name where the MAX value was found.  But as I was desperate, I did a temporary fix using an IF conditional column with 50 if-else cases.  It wasn't pretty but it works.

I'm still really keen to find the solution to my original question though, as much as a developmental thing, and because I won't be able to sleep easily ;/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.