Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Neorock

How to retrieve deleted source files by accident in the original format

I've lost the source files (two txt files) when I changed my broken HHD. I need these source files in the original format (not the final table format in powebi) to update the data in them and so the power query will work properly to update my dashboard in powerbi. I downloaded the powerbi from the workspace, but when I try to edit the source, it shows the DataSource.Error: . The dashboard works normally with all the information, but I cannot get the source files in the original format. Is there a way to retrieve these files from the powerbi file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

no because the source is not power bi, only the output is.  Power BI stores the data, but if you no longer have a source, you will not be able to change power query - you can only use what is in the pbix. 

Unfortunately the only way to solve your problem is to get the source back from where it was originally, or alter powerquery to suit the new format,  or output the data in power bi.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Neorock

Thank you for your anwer. The source file is in the broken HHD, so there is no way to get it back. I could adapt the powerquery, but the output data in powerbi (even the final tables) are complex to update (if I create new source files from this data). So I guess I will have to start from the beginning

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

no because the source is not power bi, only the output is.  Power BI stores the data, but if you no longer have a source, you will not be able to change power query - you can only use what is in the pbix. 

Unfortunately the only way to solve your problem is to get the source back from where it was originally, or alter powerquery to suit the new format,  or output the data in power bi.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.