Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

philledwards

How to report who has permissions on a dataset?

We have a dataset which requires each user to be individually granted access (Dataset > Manage Permissions). Our support team gets a lot of queries from users who are having trouble using the report and sometimes that's because they haven't yet been explicitly added to the permissions list. Is it possible for our support team to see which users are on the permissions list without having full access to everything else? They're not Power BI admin people and I don't want there to be any risk of them accidentally clicking "Remove dataset" for example. 

If there's no suitable lower access level that would allow them to see who's on the permissions list, is there a way of producing a report of who's on the list? I can't find one, and it seems the page has been hobbled to prevent the list being copied and pasted. So currently the only way Support can find out who is on the list is by asking a Power BI admin person, which is far from ideal.

2 REPLIES 2
philledwards

The way we have "solved" this is to open the Manage Permissions page in Internet Explorer, and File > Save As a .TXT file. I can then email the .TXT file to the support team who can see who's on the permissions list.

This is obviously far, far from ideal. Come on Microsoft - please provide a better mechanism for doing this!

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @philledwards ,

As far as I know, there are four access levels for new workspace: viewer, contributor, member and admin.

Viewers can’t access datasets and see the permissions list, others can access datasets and see permissions list but also remove or edit datasets.

That means you can't achieve what you want in a new workspace.

If your datasets are in a classic workspace, you might be able to set workspace to “members can only view Power BI content” and add support team as member to make sure they can see permissions list but can’t access datasets.

If so, you have to add other users as admin so that they can access datasets in the workspace.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.