Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mrloler2

How to report out on Project Status Over Time (Line & Stacked Bar Output)

Hello!

First off, I'm newer to PBI and though I have extensive Excel knowldge - I'm finding this to be a new ballgame. We're transitioning to PBI for our dashboard needs and I need to find a way to replicate some existing reporting in PBI (that I'm producing in Excel).

We have roughly ~100 Projects that each report a status of Green, Yellow or Red each month. I take the aggregate from those projects and consolidate in the following manner (rough sample). As you can see, I take the % data and run it through a combo chart that we track/trend over a running 6 month period. 

For the life of me, I'm having trouble finding out the best way to transform or organize the data in PBI that would allow for the same output (chart/graph). I've searched numerous forums and cannot find an explicit way to get this to work, despite days of trial and error, etc.

As a bonus question, i'm also wondering how I could position the data to allow me to drill down further into a graph like that to see WHICH projects have reported a certain status. For instance, if I wanted to see which 2 projects reported yellow in April 2023, etc.

I'm hoping a savant on this forum can help show me where I may be going wrong. Thank you so much!

Jan-23Feb-23Mar-23Apr-23May-23Jun-23
Green858383807977
Red001101
Yellow454223
Total898888838181

Jan-23Feb-23Mar-23Apr-23May-23Jun-23
Green96%94%94%96%98%95%
Red0%0%1%1%0%1%
Yellow4%6%5%2%2%4%
Total898888838181

Mrloler2_0-1675735007414.png

1 REPLY 1
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Mrloler2,

Is the first matrix example how the underlying data looks for each project? I'm guessing Project ID exists in the underlying data. I would think you could model the data to have columns Project ID, Status, and Date. This would allow you to aggregate and drill-down as desired.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.