cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivyhai Member

How to replace Data Source for existing report?

how can i replace data source for existing report?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: How to replace Data Source for existing report?

@ivyhai In power bi desktop go to query editor, select your table and on the right hand side under Applied Steps click settings icon. You can also without going to query editor - go to File -> Options and settings -> Data source settings >Right click data sources and chnage source.

Capture.PNG

Super User
Super User

go into Edit Queries.  Find the table/query you want to change.  Go to the first step in the Query (always called Source) and change it there.

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
28 REPLIES 28
Super User
Super User

@ivyhai In power bi desktop go to query editor, select your table and on the right hand side under Applied Steps click settings icon. You can also without going to query editor - go to File -> Options and settings -> Data source settings >Right click data sources and chnage source.

Capture.PNG

ivyhai Member

the "change source" is grey for me.

ivyhai Member

it's actually the same file but saved under difference place, how can i change/replace data source for current report?

Super User
Super User

go into Edit Queries.  Find the table/query you want to change.  Go to the first step in the Query (always called Source) and change it there.

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
RitaPT Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Someone change the name in table that I import from a database. I tried the option that you mentioned but this only function from Browser. Do you know if it is possible to change the source inside a document - similar to function "Edit Links" from excel?

Thank you.

rblackford Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Grey for me as well, I don't think this should be marked as "Solved".

ivyhai Member

I found it's easy to go 'Edit Queries', then at your 'applied steps' double click 'Source' to browse and re-select the file. 

CRM.PNG

SandySharma Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

HI Gurus,

I have one report which is developed using Excel now I want to switch from Excel to MS-SQL. How can I replace the source as the steps suggested below is only for the same source. What about the cross data bases like Excel and SQL.

sandeepk66 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Can we Switch from SQL Server to Oarcle or an EXCEL? The reason, When I tried to change Source in the Source window gives SQL Server database, which is currently being used and can change to another  SQL Server database but not an excel or other Database.

and similarly When I tried to  Switch from  EXCEL based Power BI to SQL Server database ,it gives Source window gives EXCEL file path.