cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anandmarsh Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: How to replace Data Source for existing report?

Hi,

Simply, I want to have one PowerBI template that I can apply to multiple excel files and multiple sheets (i.e. excel files are the same except for sheet names and file names).

This does not work smoothly.

I have created a template with all the required queries and applied steps (i.e. remove rows, make row as column heading, change some collumn headings).

The issue arrises when I try to change the data source. There are a errors that arise and I cant seem to resolve them. Also, when i select the new data source the sheet name fails to change. (i.e. i change the "Source" and i change the "Navigation" to the correct sheet, however the sheet name on the left hand side of the screen does not update to reflect newly-selected sheet.)

Is the creation of a template and workflow (i.e. "applied steps") the right way to go about applying the same PBI file to multiple data sources?

ffro3 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I strong recommend you to create tables in your excel files.

That way you will not work with the sheets itself, but with the tables that you created.

Like that, you can work with multiple excel files.

Particularly, i've done this way so far.

Shelley Member

I'm not sure if a template is the best way. From what I'v read, it sounds like the template feature was intended to use with one data model and share the template with others for them to create pbix files from the same dataset. I experimented with a template once, but it didn't seem to suit my needs at the time and so I haven't used them since. So, I'm sorry I'm not much help.

cbb_fan New Member

I'm currently having issues using PowerBI Desktop (actively working very hard to try to fix that issue). Meanwhile, I have this same need - to change the data source for an existing report. Is there any way to do this that does not require use of the PowerBI Desktop application?

MattL Visitor
Visitor

Thank you @Shelley. That was really helpful and worked for me too!

Shelley Member

Great! Glad it helped you, @MattL.

smgt90 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

You're a life saver!

Thanks a lot for your response!

eugeny Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

You are amazing! 

You solve my problem in a couple of seconds!

COOOL! Greate!

Thanks!

Highlighted
DoubleB Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Having the same issue and cannot solve. I have followed the steps but my original data remains the source. When I delete that data it just gives me errors

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 429 members 4,086 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: