Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to replace Data Source for existing report?

how can i replace data source for existing report?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous In power bi desktop go to query editor, select your table and on the right hand side under Applied Steps click settings icon. You can also without going to query editor - go to File -> Options and settings -> Data source settings >Right click data sources and chnage source.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

go into Edit Queries.  Find the table/query you want to change.  Go to the first step in the Query (always called Source) and change it there.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you change your data source or update it, do you lose any Dax or measures you built?  Will it over-ride any additional columns you built during transformations and or in the dataview of the tables?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Actually if you dont delete any steps that were made before, all the changes made earlier will be the same. Just make sure that your new dataset have tha same structure that the old one had or you'll get some error saying the columns or anything else was not found.
SinInteligencia
Regular Visitor

I guess if you are using an odbc connection you are in bad troubles. 

I am using MongoDB and there is no option to change datasource.

Sincerely

Ezequias Rocha

DoubleB

Having the same issue and cannot solve. I have followed the steps but my original data remains the source. When I delete that data it just gives me errors

anandmarsh
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Simply, I want to have one PowerBI template that I can apply to multiple excel files and multiple sheets (i.e. excel files are the same except for sheet names and file names).

This does not work smoothly.

I have created a template with all the required queries and applied steps (i.e. remove rows, make row as column heading, change some collumn headings).

The issue arrises when I try to change the data source. There are a errors that arise and I cant seem to resolve them. Also, when i select the new data source the sheet name fails to change. (i.e. i change the "Source" and i change the "Navigation" to the correct sheet, however the sheet name on the left hand side of the screen does not update to reflect newly-selected sheet.)

Is the creation of a template and workflow (i.e. "applied steps") the right way to go about applying the same PBI file to multiple data sources?

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I'm not sure if a template is the best way. From what I'v read, it sounds like the template feature was intended to use with one data model and share the template with others for them to create pbix files from the same dataset. I experimented with a template once, but it didn't seem to suit my needs at the time and so I haven't used them since. So, I'm sorry I'm not much help.

I'm currently having issues using PowerBI Desktop (actively working very hard to try to fix that issue). Meanwhile, I have this same need - to change the data source for an existing report. Is there any way to do this that does not require use of the PowerBI Desktop application?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I strong recommend you to create tables in your excel files.

That way you will not work with the sheets itself, but with the tables that you created.

Like that, you can work with multiple excel files.

Particularly, i've done this way so far.

sanjupanda
Regular Visitor

How to replace the data source of the report when we move from one environment to the other (e.g:  from Dev to Test) ?

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi, Are the field names the same? If so, what I've done to make this easier and it seemed to work, is:

1. In Edit Queries, I added the new source table.

2. Then I clicked on the new source table, and then clicked Advanced Editor.

3. In the new source's Advanced Editor pane, I copied the commands with CTRL-C. Clicked Done.

4. Then I clicked on the old table, and clicked on Advanced Editor, selecting all the commands here, and then pasted the new source information using CTRL-V.

5. When you apply the changes, this should point your old query to the new source, and you should actually be able to delete the new table you added as it will now appear twice.

Please NOTE: you have to take care here if you performed any transformations. You may have to repeat them or edit the commands accordingly.

I hope this helps. Everyone's situtation and environment is different, so perhaps this may or may not work for you.

Thanks @Shelley Your solution saved me a lot of time. However, I do want to point out that "Edit Queries" is the old name for today's "Transform Data" to open Power Query. Microsoft changed that a while ago, but beginners like me may not be aware of this. 

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Cannot-find-the-Edit-Queries-icon/td-p/971317 

Thanks so much for this @Shelley I have spent countless hours trying to do this and finally stumbled upon your solution which worked perfectly

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@PaulR17 Awesome, glad it helped!

Created an account just to reply to this. Amazing! Worked like a charm.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Awesome! Glad it worked for you.

Works like a charm..thanks

Dear Shelley,

Your suggstion worked like a charm. I wanted to change the source file of a table, saved in Excel.

Thanks.

@danishhussain Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad this helped you!

You're a life saver!

Thanks a lot for your response!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Shelley. That was really helpful and worked for me too!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.