cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivyhai
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to replace Data Source for existing report?

how can i replace data source for existing report?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ivyhai In power bi desktop go to query editor, select your table and on the right hand side under Applied Steps click settings icon. You can also without going to query editor - go to File -> Options and settings -> Data source settings >Right click data sources and chnage source.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

go into Edit Queries.  Find the table/query you want to change.  Go to the first step in the Query (always called Source) and change it there.

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are amazing! 

You solve my problem in a couple of seconds!

COOOL! Greate!

Thanks!

ivyhai
Post Patron
Post Patron

it's actually the same file but saved under difference place, how can i change/replace data source for current report?

go into Edit Queries.  Find the table/query you want to change.  Go to the first step in the Query (always called Source) and change it there.

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

We went into Edit Queries and clicked on Data Source settings and we were able to change the SSAS sever name. 

Someone change the name in table that I import from a database. I tried the option that you mentioned but this only function from Browser. Do you know if it is possible to change the source inside a document - similar to function "Edit Links" from excel?

Thank you.

Hi,

There is a solution actually. if you go to ‘Transform data’ and ‘Advanced Editor’ so you can change the sql statement of the data source, you can replace the file name with a new one, which means you can change the data source.

Regards 

Charlotte

I found it's easy to go 'Edit Queries', then at your 'applied steps' double click 'Source' to browse and re-select the file. 

CRM.PNG

Can we Switch from SQL Server to Oarcle or an EXCEL? The reason, When I tried to change Source in the Source window gives SQL Server database, which is currently being used and can change to another  SQL Server database but not an excel or other Database.

and similarly When I tried to  Switch from  EXCEL based Power BI to SQL Server database ,it gives Source window gives EXCEL file path.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ivyhai In power bi desktop go to query editor, select your table and on the right hand side under Applied Steps click settings icon. You can also without going to query editor - go to File -> Options and settings -> Data source settings >Right click data sources and chnage source.

Capture.PNG

Hi Ankit. There's a detail I want to confirm. I have 8 different tables in my report, all of which have storage mode as DirectQuery. So my question is - if I change the Data source using File Menu --> Data Source Settings, will the change apply to ALL the DirectQueries ?

P.S. : If it helps, I am simply trying to change the source DB from UAT to Production.

Hi.

I am trying to change my source from local tsv to a url tsv. 

I see in editing source i can change the file but it seems I'm not able to change to a URL (as I am able in the initial get data window).

*not able to download too large for HD

*Recreating the query and subsequent table edits would be .. not ideal.

= really hoping to seamlessly point the existing steps + report to a URL source instead of current local file upload:)

Did you find a solution for your issue ? I'm trying to edit the source from a TEST environment Odata source to a PROD environment Odata. 

Hi All,

How to update an existing powerBI report when the datasource changes from DEV to TEST ?

the "change source" is grey for me.

Grey for me as well, I don't think this should be marked as "Solved".

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.