cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
zzsuffa Visitor
Visitor

Re: How to replace Data Source for existing report?

Read this article http://www.decisivedata.net/blog/change-a-power-bi-data-source-type this shows you how to do the change from Excel to SQL Server or to any other type. I tested it and it works fine.

chfio Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

I am trying to change my source from local tsv to a url tsv. 

I see in editing source i can change the file but it seems I'm not able to change to a URL (as I am able in the initial get data window).

*not able to download too large for HD

*Recreating the query and subsequent table edits would be .. not ideal.

= really hoping to seamlessly point the existing steps + report to a URL source instead of current local file uploadSmiley Happy

BastiaanBos Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Did you find a solution for your issue ? I'm trying to edit the source from a TEST environment Odata source to a PROD environment Odata. 

moredvikas Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

We went into Edit Queries and clicked on Data Source settings and we were able to change the SSAS sever name. 

sanjupanda Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

How to replace the data source of the report when we move from one environment to the other (e.g:  from Dev to Test) ?

sanjupanda Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

How to update an existing powerBI report when the datasource changes from DEV to TEST ?

Shelley Member

Hi, Are the field names the same? If so, what I've done to make this easier and it seemed to work, is:

1. In Edit Queries, I added the new source table.

2. Then I clicked on the new source table, and then clicked Advanced Editor.

3. In the new source's Advanced Editor pane, I copied the commands with CTRL-C. Clicked Done.

4. Then I clicked on the old table, and clicked on Advanced Editor, selecting all the commands here, and then pasted the new source information using CTRL-V.

5. When you apply the changes, this should point your old query to the new source, and you should actually be able to delete the new table you added as it will now appear twice.

Please NOTE: you have to take care here if you performed any transformations. You may have to repeat them or edit the commands accordingly.

I hope this helps. Everyone's situtation and environment is different, so perhaps this may or may not work for you.

KoalaPandaSloth Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

This worked. Thanks 

Shelley Member

Did you follow the steps exactly? Did you receive an error? I've done this several times now, always with success. Are all the column names the same? If a column name is different, the existing expressions using the different names will not automatically connect to the new data.

ffro3 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

This worked flawless for me!

Thanks a lot!