Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

therealomacoder
Helper II
Helper II

How to rename a table in the model without impacting existing reports in Power BI Service

My tables have started to change purposes (actually views on SQL Server using DirectQuery).

But I've found that if I rename them in the model, all visualizations that used those objects now break.

How do I successfully rename a table in a model without breaking all associated visualizations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @therealomacoder ,

Based on my test, when we change the dataset tables name in PowerBI desktop, the visual will not be affected, then we can re-publish it to PowerBI Service.

Best Regards,

Teige

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you have your model and report in the same pbix you can rename tables, columns and measures and the report is automatically updated. But if you use a dataset with thin reports all your reports will break!

I created an Idea to address this question, can you help voting?

Renaming dataset measures can't break client reports (change reference from name to ID)

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=649ec802-682b-ec11-b76a-281878e608e9

TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @therealomacoder ,

Based on my test, when we change the dataset tables name in PowerBI desktop, the visual will not be affected, then we can re-publish it to PowerBI Service.

Best Regards,

Teige

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe this is the solution. I am looking for a similar answer as the starter of this topic. We have Power BI datasets running in the online service on which multiple reports are reliant.

When we change one table name, the measures in the report stop working and all reports crash. If someone can help how to adjust table names in the model without impacting all reports reliant on this model, that would be awesome. Somehow Power BI seems to make the connection between measure and table based on the user interface naming. I think this is bad. Models can grow and need to be adjusted. This will also lead to different measure grouping and therefore table name changes. This seems now impossible it seems or I overlook something. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 yers later... now we have composite models, great feature on Power BI! We can merge different datasets and query them with Direct Query to AAS/PBI dataset.

But I have the same reported problem... "Power BI seems to make the connection between measure and table based on the user interface naming"...

How can I change a table name in a source PBI dataset without crashing all client reports?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.