Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

R3muS10
Frequent Visitor

How to rename a blank value in a matrix row or column

Hello.

I am trying to make a matrix visualizations with some data in it. I have with a relationship between my tables.

The matrix visualization has a blank row / column depending where I position that column, like in this picture:

Noname.png

Is it any method to rename that column so that it won't show that blank space ? In my visualization filter it says (blank) like this:

Noname.png

Thanks in advance.

PS: Sorry about some of the words, they are in my native language (romanian).

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool dude,

If u getting blank 

Reason is 

1. In the relationship betwenn dimesion and measure table u have mismatch value.

or 

this method which i have reply previous that will only work for if blank in dimesion column at column level only .

I thinks urs is relationship blank 

View solution in original post

@Baskar is correct - you have two tables with a relationship between them.  One table has rows that don't match in the other table so in your report it doesn't know how to label them so it labels them as (blank). The easiest way to stop this is to just set a filter on the report but beware this means you're filtering out data thar probably is important.  The best approach is to figure out WHY there are blanks showing up - in other words, WHY are not all of the rows between the two tables matching.

This isn't 100% relevant but it may give you some insight https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-assume-referential-integrity/

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
R3muS10
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your responses @Baskar @KieranHarmon .

Unfortunately the methods did not work  😞 . Maye i did something wrong or something, because I don't see any modifications to my code ...

In my table I don't have any 'blank' spaces, but when I add it on the matrix row it appears because it interacts with another column in the table where the relantionship is. In the database i've got something like this:

Noname.png

Unless I am misunderstanding here, but for your information know that null values ARE blanks

@Baskar is correct - you have two tables with a relationship between them.  One table has rows that don't match in the other table so in your report it doesn't know how to label them so it labels them as (blank). The easiest way to stop this is to just set a filter on the report but beware this means you're filtering out data thar probably is important.  The best approach is to figure out WHY there are blanks showing up - in other words, WHY are not all of the rows between the two tables matching.

This isn't 100% relevant but it may give you some insight https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-assume-referential-integrity/

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool dude,

If u getting blank 

Reason is 

1. In the relationship betwenn dimesion and measure table u have mismatch value.

or 

this method which i have reply previous that will only work for if blank in dimesion column at column level only .

I thinks urs is relationship blank 

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Try this one it will help u .

ceate calculated column :

Column =
var tst= column Name
return

IF(LEN(tst)=0,"blank",tst)

KieranHarmon
Frequent Visitor

One way is to modify your Query. In Power BI

1. click Edit Queries

2. select the column that contains the blank

3. In the Home ribbon, in teh Transform section, click on Replace Values 

4. In 'Value to Find' enter null

5. In 'Replace With' enter the text that should replace the empty value e.g. you might entry "No value"

6. Click OK. And then "Close And Apply"

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

U can replace the blank in measure but in Dimension we can't replace upto my knowledge .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.