Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to remove leading commas from the concatenated String

Hi Team,

I have a concatenated text string like ",176.22.191.10,None,254.255.244.0" . This is a concantenated value comprises of certain values. Customer doesnt want to see the Leading comma at the begining of the Value. Commas can be there between two values , but not at begining. 

Could you please help me to remove it ? I tried the below formulae , but it didnt worked for this scenario. 

Comma Removal = IF(LEFT([List of Prod_Gateway_IP_Address values],1)=",",SUBSTITUTE([List of Prod_Gateway_IP_Address values],",",""),[List of Prod_Gateway_IP_Address values])

8 REPLIES 8
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Try this:

Comma Removal =
IF (
    LEFT ( [List of Prod_Gateway_IP_Address values], 1 ) = ",",
    MID (
        [List of Prod_Gateway_IP_Address values],
        LEN ( [List of Prod_Gateway_IP_Address values] ) -1
    ),
    [List of Prod_Gateway_IP_Address values]
)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB ,

Thanks for the reply. I tried your method and it is giving the same results of my method . Please find the screen shot below . It is removing the Comma, but giving results in seperate rows . So i have concatenated "Comma Removal" again and it started giving commas again. 

Capture.PNG

@Anonymous 

I don't understand what you are showing in that table or what you are trying to do. You'll have to explain it in detail and/or share the pbix. Otherwise I cannot help. Is that a table visual? hat fields are involved? From what table(s)? what is the structure of those tables?  Is 'Comma removal' a measure? and [List of Prod_Gateway_IP_Address values]? I thought they were both calculated columns but it doesn't seem so.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi AIb,

Sorry for not explaining it in detail. I explained it through screen shots and detail information below. 

Firstly , the screen shot i have shown in previous discussion was the table ( Report output) . I have attached the screenshot explaining everything in Detail . Please let me know in case if anything else is required.  As Companys data is there, I couldnt able to share pbix file. Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

Does any have a solution or suggestions for this ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

I have attached DAX Code for the same and resulted output which it gives :

List of Target IP Address values =
VAR __DISTINCT_VALUES_COUNT = DISTINCTCOUNT('Query1'[Target IP Address])
VAR __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW = 300
RETURN
IF(
__DISTINCT_VALUES_COUNT > __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW,
CONCATENATE(
CONCATENATEX(
TOPN(
__MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW,
VALUES('Query1'[Target IP Address]),
'Query1'[Target IP Address],
ASC
),
", ",
ASC
),
", etc."
),
CONCATENATEX(
VALUES('Query1'[Target IP Address]),
",",
ASC
)
)

Resulted Output : 

,10.0.0.1,169.254.2.129,169.254.2.130,169.254.2.187,169.254.2.244,169.254.2.98,172.29.241.43,172.29.241.45,172.29.241.46

Desired Output : 

10.0.0.1,169.254.2.129,169.254.2.130,169.254.2.187,169.254.2.244,169.254.2.98,172.29.241.43,172.29.241.45,172.29.241.46

@Anonymous 

Hi, try with this:

ConcatenatedValues =
CONCATENATEX (
    FILTER ( Table1; Table1[Values] <> BLANK () ),
    Table1[Values],
    ","
)

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Victor , 

I did tried your suggestion and I see an output like this . I am doing some thing wrong , but I am new to PBI. 

Measure : ConcatenatedValues =
CONCATENATEX (
FILTER (Query1,Query1[Target IP Address]<> BLANK () ),
Query1[Target IP Address],
","
)

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.