Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zivhimmel
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to remove a field?

Hi,

My question is simple - I need to remove a field because it no longer exists in the underlying database view.

If I just remove it, the next time I try to refresh, it fails because the field does not exist.

What am I missing?

As a temporary solution I've added the field again to the view, but I don't want it to stay if it isn't needed.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @Sean.

Actually it turned out that the right thing to do is just to drop the column in the database without making any change in Power BI.

When I tried to delete a field in Power BI, it got into the transformation sequence that runs when refreshing a table,

and it would fail because the column doesn't exist anymore, so cannot be removed.

So it's better to just drop it in the database without changing the model. Then the field would automatically be removed when refreshing.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@zivhimmel

Say you want to do this with Column 2 - delete the highlighted part for the appropriate field in the Query Editor Formula Bar

then Close & Apply

Get Rid Of A Field.png

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Thanks @Sean.

Actually it turned out that the right thing to do is just to drop the column in the database without making any change in Power BI.

When I tried to delete a field in Power BI, it got into the transformation sequence that runs when refreshing a table,

and it would fail because the column doesn't exist anymore, so cannot be removed.

So it's better to just drop it in the database without changing the model. Then the field would automatically be removed when refreshing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.