Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ctoscher
Helper I
Helper I

How to remove a Power BI dataset as the data source for my pbix file?

We build a dataset in Power BI, it takes forever to load embedded reports because it's applying RLS across all the tables in the main dataset report.

We're now looking to improve performence and reduce loading time, which means to recreate these reports with the raw SQL data.

Unfortunately, all our reports right now use the published pbix data source (one data source for all reports).

How can we replace the pbix data source from being a Power BI published report to a SQL data source?

All options are greyed out and there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the data source from the file.

Huge waste of time to recreate all these reports from scratch...

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ctoscher
Helper I
Helper I

I reached out to Power BI support.

At the moment, there's no way to accomplish this task.

They provided the following workaround:

1. Create a new report and add your SQL tables (or other) to exactly match the original dataset.
  2. Copy the report visuals and paste them in the new file.

You might also need to save the theme and import it in the new file - not all styles will be reapplied so some manual configuration is still necessary.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ctoscher
Helper I
Helper I

I reached out to Power BI support.

At the moment, there's no way to accomplish this task.

They provided the following workaround:

1. Create a new report and add your SQL tables (or other) to exactly match the original dataset.
  2. Copy the report visuals and paste them in the new file.

You might also need to save the theme and import it in the new file - not all styles will be reapplied so some manual configuration is still necessary.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ctoscher 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your problem .

You created a lot of reports in Power BI Desktop with published dataset ,right ?And now you want change the data source without deleting all the reports ,right ?

If as I understand ,there is still a problem ,what is the data source for the original dataset you used ?The reports were created by original data model ,once you change the data source ,and connect to other data source , all the data does not match, the report will report an error .

If you don’t care the reports you can delete the dataset in Data Source Settings .As you know , the connection mode for published dataset is LiveConnection ,we cannot delete the datasource in this model ,so we should change the mode .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

Ailsamsft_0-1624514848907.png

Then in Query Editor ,click Data Source Settings and delete the data source .

Ailsamsft_1-1624514848909.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@ctoscher 

It is possible to delete the connection to the Power BI dataset from Data Source Settings.

Refer this video : https://www.google.com/search?q=power+bi+dataset+direct+query+delete&oq=power+bi+dataset+direct+quer...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Absolutely, this is the way to do it.

This is what's confusing me, the right-click menu doesn't appear and no delete option is available.

@ctoscher 

If you have connected to the Power BI dataset then you should see that option to delete as shown in the video. I suggest you open a support ticket, it gets resolved fast. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.