Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

equetzal
Regular Visitor

How to relate a column from one table to the headers of another table

Hi I am have trouble finding a efficient way to link my key table to the data table as can be seen in the picture. 

equetzal_0-1617473394505.png

And for reference please see the tables below 

equetzal_1-1617473462787.pngequetzal_2-1617473485740.png

As can be seen I am trying to link the Feeder PointID column to the headers of the data table 

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @equetzal ,

it doesn't work like this in Power BI.

You can only have one active relationship between two tables and this relationship has to be with one column.

So the valid key is the combination of 3 columns you might want to combine them to a key column in Power Query. Something like "Column1_Column2_Column3" as your key column.

Would that work?

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @equetzal .

where are you struggling?

You need a column with the same key in both tables. So you need the "Feeder PointID" also in the second table. Does this exist?

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Thanks for the reply @selimovd 

So that is my problem the way the Data table is structured no there is no similar column. The entries in the key table column are the headers in the data table I can related them one by one as can be seen below but this does not seem efficient.  

equetzal_0-1617497804436.png

Hey @equetzal ,

it doesn't work like this in Power BI.

You can only have one active relationship between two tables and this relationship has to be with one column.

So the valid key is the combination of 3 columns you might want to combine them to a key column in Power Query. Something like "Column1_Column2_Column3" as your key column.

Would that work?

Best regards
Denis

Thanks @selimovd  I will have to modify my approch given power bi parameters

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.