Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

witaing
Employee
Employee

How to refresh all tables even if 1 fails

When 1 of my tables fails to refresh, none of my tables refresh even though there aren't any relationships between them. The tables that sometimes fail to refresh are standalone tables. I would like the rest of my tables to refresh even if those tables fail, but whenever those tables fail, none of my other tables continue to refresh.

How do I ensure my other tables will refresh even if some of them fail?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@witaing wrote:

Thanks gosbel. That's what we've ended up using as a workaround, but it's a pain to have to do that manually daily 😞 I presume there is no equivalent of doing that purely within the PBI online web service/portal itself is there? We've just been manually refreshing select tables and re-publishing it every day...

No I don't believe there is currently any way of doing this in the service. Microsoft is working on something called the XMLA endpoint which you will be able to write a scripts against to individually process a list of tables, but at least in it's current form it's only going to be enabled on premium workspaces.

The other option if you have a data source that is this unreliable is to build a separate load routine that copies the data into a reliable location, maybe using a DataFlow or something like that. Then if this other load routine fails your report can still refresh, just off the last successful load of this problem data.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately Power BI does not seem to expose any way of doing this automatically.

But in the Model view you can either use Ctrl-click to multi-select tables (or you can type Ctrl-A to select all tables and then use Ctrl-click to unselect some problem tables), then right click on one of the selected tables and click "Refresh Data". 

Thanks gosbel. That's what we've ended up using as a workaround, but it's a pain to have to do that manually daily 😞 I presume there is no equivalent of doing that purely within the PBI online web service/portal itself is there? We've just been manually refreshing select tables and re-publishing it every day...

@witaing wrote:

No I don't believe there is currently any way of doing this in the service. Microsoft is working on something called the XMLA endpoint which you will be able to write a scripts against to individually process a list of tables, but at least in it's current form it's only going to be enabled on premium workspaces.

The other option if you have a data source that is this unreliable is to build a separate load routine that copies the data into a reliable location, maybe using a DataFlow or something like that. Then if this other load routine fails your report can still refresh, just off the last successful load of this problem data.

Oh I like your idea in the 2nd paragraph 🙂 thanks a bunch!

Cool I will keep my eyes peeled on this feature in premium. It would be really helpful to have that.

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @witaing 

You may refresh the tables manually by clicking 'refresh data' of these tables.Or you may go to query editor to disable 'Enable load' for the error table.Below are some articles for your reference.

https://radacad.com/performance-tip-for-power-bi-enable-load-sucks-memory-up

https://radacad.com/exception-reporting-in-power-bi-catch-the-error-rows-in-power-query

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the links cherch. If I catch an excpetion, would the other tables still continue to refresh? My problem is, once I publish the report, if one table fails to refresh the next day, the whole thing doesn't refresh. Would I be able to catch an error and then the other tables still refresh?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.