Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to reformat date from mmmm/dddd/yyyy to ##/##/##

Hi,

I have a large matrix visual with several columns of dates. However, I quickly run out of horizontal real estate, and would like to condense the date columns down from a "Monday, July 15, 2019" format down to a "7/15/19", which takes up half of the space to show in the matrix. How can I achieve this?

This date format is too wide and clunky; I would like to show "6/12/18" for example instead of "Tuesday, June 12, 2018"This date format is too wide and clunky; I would like to show "6/12/18" for example instead of "Tuesday, June 12, 2018"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You have to select the column in the table on the right then format it.

datetimeformat.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If you select your date column in the table list on the right you can set the formatting under the modeling tab.

datetimeformat.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbuchanan71  thank you for your speedy reply!

When I select the column in my table, it resorts it, but the Formatting tab under Modeling remains greyed out. Am I selecting the column the right way, by clicking on the header?

I selected column 'Issue Date', but the 'Formatting' tab remains greyed out, as seen above.I selected column 'Issue Date', but the 'Formatting' tab remains greyed out, as seen above.

I have double-checked to make sure that the column was formatted as "Date" in Querty Editor.

Column "Issue Date" is formatted as dateColumn "Issue Date" is formatted as date

You have to select the column in the table on the right then format it.

datetimeformat.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbuchanan71thank you!

Exactly the way I wanted itExactly the way I wanted it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.