Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to reference differences between columns of visualization

I am needing help, please, and I'm very new to PBI so any help with explaining logic if solving this with DAX would be very much appreciated!

Below (Screen Shot #1) is a visualization showing customer invoices from month to month. I'm trying to figure out a way of referencing the previous month to see if there is either a + or - change of, say, 5% and, if so - the invoice amount is highlighted red. In this manner, a member of the sales team can quickly review the list of cusotmers for the current month and see, quickly, if there was a deviation from the previous month.

The two tables (I was told to create a date table to do the date comparisons) are in screenshots 2 & 3. The "AGR_Header_RecID is essentially the customer ID (as it's represented in an agreement table). The main key values in the table are:

• Company_RecID = Customer
  • Monthly_Inv_Amt = The amount of the bill
  • PQ_Date = Date of the bill

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

SCREEN SHOT #1

004.jpg

SCREEN SHOT #2

002.jpg

SCREEN SHOT #3

003.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, I create a sample, you can create a measure like this:

Measure =
VAR _Pre =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Company_Name] = MAX ( 'Table'[Company_Name] )
                && YEAR ( 'Table'[Date] ) = YEAR ( MAX ( 'Table'[Date] ) )
                && MONTH ( 'Table'[Date] )
                    = MONTH ( MAX ( 'Table'[Date] ) ) - 1
        ),
        'Table'[Invoice]
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        _Pre <> BLANK ()
            && DIVIDE ( MAX ( 'Table'[Invoice] ) - _Pre, MAX ( 'Table'[Invoice] ) ) > 0.03,
        "RED"
    )

In the visual formatting pane>Cell elements, turn on the Font color, apply the measure to the Invoice color.

vkalyjmsft_0-1653552234069.png

vkalyjmsft_1-1653552493219.png

Get the result.

vkalyjmsft_2-1653552560080.png

I attach my sample below for reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, I create a sample, you can create a measure like this:

Measure =
VAR _Pre =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Company_Name] = MAX ( 'Table'[Company_Name] )
                && YEAR ( 'Table'[Date] ) = YEAR ( MAX ( 'Table'[Date] ) )
                && MONTH ( 'Table'[Date] )
                    = MONTH ( MAX ( 'Table'[Date] ) ) - 1
        ),
        'Table'[Invoice]
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        _Pre <> BLANK ()
            && DIVIDE ( MAX ( 'Table'[Invoice] ) - _Pre, MAX ( 'Table'[Invoice] ) ) > 0.03,
        "RED"
    )

In the visual formatting pane>Cell elements, turn on the Font color, apply the measure to the Invoice color.

vkalyjmsft_0-1653552234069.png

vkalyjmsft_1-1653552493219.png

Get the result.

vkalyjmsft_2-1653552560080.png

I attach my sample below for reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

" I'm trying to figure out a way of referencing the previous month"

Power BI has no concept of "previous" or "next" column or row.  You need to explain to the engine how your data is sorted and what the intervals are.

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. If you paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services it will be easier to assist you. Avoid posting screenshots of your source data if possible.

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided. Screenshots of the expected outcome are ok.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.