Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hengqiiiiii
Frequent Visitor

How to refer to the text in a specific excel cell in Card function

Hi, what I want to do is to create a report which shows the text value from excel file. Can anyone help me to achieve the idea?

1536917260(1).pngfor example, I would like to create a similar format to this excel worksheet in power bi, which can show the text result of each category. Is there any method that we can use Card function to show the text? 

Thanks so much!

4 REPLIES 4
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

As stated, it is not a good idea to have merged cells. Power BI will place the value in the first cell of the merged cells. 

For this worksheet, you could do the following steps:

1. Import as Excel.
  2. Click "Edit", or go to the advanced query editor and open the query.
  3. Delete all steps on the "Applied Stpes" so that you are left with just source.
  4. Select all Columns. On "Transform" Tab, apply "Fil Down"Capture.PNG
  5. On "Home" Tab, apply "Remove Rows" > "Remove top Rows" and type 1.
  6. On "Transform" Tab, apply "Use First Row as Headers". You may want to rename so you can differentiate Material and Water
  7. Select all Columns. On "Home" Tab, apply "Remove Rows" > "Remove Duplicates"

Here, this will give you a format compatible with Power BI, and a line for each combination. This will allow you to construct a report that can display text from a card, or simply put all in a table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Johanno
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Not sure if I understand, but if you to see the same structure as in Excel you add a table and select all columns that you want. Then you can add a slicer if you just want to see one category. I think we need to see more of the table structure and the expected outcome.

Thanks so much for your reply. The image is from excel report. All the values or texts in the yellow area will change after I change parameters in another worksheet. I would like to have a similar report in PowerBI with Card Function, so that I can modify the shapes and sizes of boxes, and rearrange them to have the same format as this excel report. For now, I do not know how to link the card function with individual excel cell. For example, I want to make a card link to and show the value in cell D3, "Energy Consumed (e)", could you please teach me how I can achieve this result?1536929324(1).png

Hi again, I see now that you have merged cells with different sizes. This is not a Power BI-friendly format. When you import merged cells only the top will remain and the other will be null.

I think we need a new structure of the source or maybe Power BI is not the right application for this or we need a Power Query ninja (which I'm not unfortunately). Hope someone else can help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.