Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

krfaughnan
Frequent Visitor

How to recreate multiple vlookups in one column in power bi

I have a some what complicated report scenario that I am attempting recreate in Power BI. I am new to the application so I am not entirely sure of the best way to accomplish this or if it's even possible. Basically I publish a report that reports on which version of an application a client is running. Unfortunately, there are 3 different version sources (databases) that are no integrated and do not share all of the same columns (but do all share a GUID) so I have to join them manully/separately by extracting the date from all 3 sources in an Excel file (3 total source files). I basically copy them into separate tabs and then have to represent the data the same "version" column by doing the following:

Version column steps

1. Enter a vlookup for version source #1 and copy down the Version column.
  2. Filter the blanks in the version column, clear the vlookup from the blank rows, enter a vlookup for version source #2 and copy down the column
  3. Filter the blanks in the version column, clear the vlookup from the blank rows, enter a vlookup for version source #3 and copy down the column.

Please understand that I already know this is messy, especially being as though I've been doing this manually, but I do not have control over this at this time - i.e., please see: this is an executive's request 🙂 . I also can not connect directly to these db's so I will still be working with excel files. Has anyone done anything like this before? I have tried looking up a solution in this fourm but can't seem to find anyone who has successfully done the same kind of thing.

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.