Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SNDG
Frequent Visitor

How to publish power bi report without overriding existing dataset

Hi, Need urgent help in below scenario

We are continuoulsly developing the report by creating new visuals, adding new pages and new tables in power bi desktop file.
I may need to publish the report daily or weekly based on report changes.As Incremental refresh configured for my
report, do not want to override the existing dataset whenever publishing new changes to service.

Is there any possibility to achive this.

6 REPLIES 6
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I am in the same situation, I do not find a comfortable option to be able to update the design of my report without updating the dataset, this is very complex in the case that you have a dataset with "incremental update".
Has anyone found a recommended option to this problem that you can share?

gregschuit

Any news about this? I have the same problem. I can't update my report without deleting the incrementally loaded data.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SNDG ,

I have found a similar psot, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Solved: Is it really not possible to publish report change... - Microsoft Power BI Community

1. I have the DQ Connection to Power BI Datasets turned on in preview. This isn't necessary but the steps are a bit different.
  2. Saved my full PBIX as Report Name Thin Test.pbix.
  3. Went to Model View. Selected all tables and deleted them.
  4. Connected to Power BI Datasets.
  5. Checked the box next to the dataset I wanted to get all tables (this is what is new in the DQ Dataset preview)
  6. Pressed ok.

After about a minute, all visuals started working again. Save the file and it is a less than 2MB PBIX file, because virtually nothing is in it.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

SNDG
Frequent Visitor

I want only one report at the end and schedule refresh also configured on the report, I can not maintain multiple versions in service as I need to publish the report in App

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Don't think there is an exact solution for what you are looking for.

The thing that comes closest are parameters in Power Query. This makes you able to switch between sources.

See this.

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Couldn't you just rename the file before publishing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors