Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to properly use a summarized table

Hello,

I have build a model using two fact tables and let's say 10 dim tables.  In the model, those tables are related with the appropriate keys.

When we make a table in the visualisation pane, we can pick any column, either from a fact table or a dim table, as long as they are related (link in the model).  We can use slicer to affect the produced table and it works well.

However, if I produce a table in the visualisation pane using a summarized table, the slicer does not affect the produced table.  May be I wrong, but I though as the summarized table is built from tables linked into the model,

that we could control the results showed via filter or slicer.  

What can I do to permit the slicer to affect the produced table from the summarized table.

Thanks in advance for your help.

alepage

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous why you cannot create a table with measure and use filter and slicers. I'm still not sure why you need summarized table, you already have data loaded in your model (dim and facts) so just use matrix or table visual and show the data whatever way you want with all filters/slicers applied to it. Not sure what I'm  missing here.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you cannot apply slicer/filter to summarized table. Question is why you need a summarized table? What you are trying to achieve?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to produce a summarized table group by projectskey, billingStatus and EmployeeID.

Then my clients can see this table on the web (power bi portal) and export it using slicer into excel.

I have try to used a different sql script to achieve the group by statement and it works.  However when I try to produce the desired table, the software is warning me that there is not enough memory to produce the visual (a table) when I try to add more than 23 variables.

The use of the summarized function permits me to group my results as desired and to produce the table in the visualisation pane.

However, if it is true that I can use filter and slicer with a summarized table, and I think you are wright, I have made a short test and the filter did not affect the summarized table.

I have two questions.  I believe that the dim table and the fact table will be affected by the filter.  How come the summarized table is not.

What can I do to achieve my task i.e. produce the desired table which permit me to use filter and slicer.

Thanks in advance for your help

@Anonymous why you cannot create a table with measure and use filter and slicers. I'm still not sure why you need summarized table, you already have data loaded in your model (dim and facts) so just use matrix or table visual and show the data whatever way you want with all filters/slicers applied to it. Not sure what I'm  missing here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that I have every things to produce but the software tells me that I don't have enough memory to produce the table in the visualisation pane, even if I have 8 Go of RAM. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.