Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kamalmsharma
Helper II
Helper II

How to progressively subtract week wise sales forecast from inventory to create inventory forecast?

Hi,

I am trying to create a weekly inventory forecast by subtracting weekly sales forecast from the opening inventory. I cannot create a column for this as the weekly sales forecast is dynamically calculated using a measure.

I have created a matrix with weeks in columns field and products in rows field. The problem is that the matrix visual is considering opening inventory of each week equal to the opening inventory of the first week. It should consider closing inventory of previous week as opening inventory of current week.

Your help will be highly useful.

Best regards,

Kamal

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

That being said, see if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I am trying to explain the problem here.

1. I have created a measure to calculate the weekly sales forecast. This is dynamic as I need to change the reference historical week which changes the forecast. The matrix visual for the sales forecast looks like:

Sales Forecast  
ProductWeek 1Week 2Week 3
A203025
B10020
C151015
D201520
E251520

2. I have an inventory table which gives me opening inventory for Week 1. Now I want to calculate closing inventory for future weeks as: Closing Inventory = Opening Inventory - Sales Forecast. 

I am facing a problem of Opening Inventory not being referred to previous week's closing inventory in matrix visual. It always refers to opening inventory of week 1. 

Inventory Forecast        
 Week 1Week 2Week 3
ProductOpening InventorySales ForecastClosing InventoryOpening InventorySales ForecastClosing InventoryOpening InventorySales ForecastClosing Inventory
A200201802003017020025175
B18010170180018018020160
C250152352501024025015235
D300202803001528530020280
E150251251501513515020130

Could you pls advise how to take last weeks' closing inventory as current week's opening inventory?

Best regards,

Kamal

Hi @kamalmsharma,

Could you please share your sample data to me?  As by the matrix visual your shared, am not sure about what is your data struct and for the other columns. Did them come from the same table or not? You can uoload your files to one drive and share the link here.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.