Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kauffyman

How to prevent PBI Desktop from renaming the fields when the data source is SharePoint online List

Forgive me, but I am a brand new user of Power BI. I am trying to create a report that sources a List from SharePoint Online. I made a successful connection, but all of the column names from the list were not maintained in the PBI table in desktop and instead were renamed as Field 1, Field 2, Field 3, etc. There must be a way to prevent this. But, my research so far has come up nill. I even watched some online tutorials that sourced a SharePoint Online list exactly the way I did and the column names remaned in tact in the PBI table. Screenshot 2021-12-14 table in PBI.pngScreenshot 2021-12-14 SharePoint List.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Kauffyman 

I tested the connection from deaktop to SharePoint online list. The column name display is normal and failed to recover your problem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-sharepoint-online-list 

Maybe you can try transform in the power query editor.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well, unfortunately we will be doing a lot of these and I do not intend to have to transform the data manually for all of them when it should just work when I am doing everything exactly as prescribed in the article. 

Kauffyman

@Greg_Deckler I used the native SharePoint Online List connector 

Kauffyman_0-1639693724734.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Kauffyman Which connector did you use? 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.