Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lorentzt
Frequent Visitor

How to present result from two matrixes in a common matrix

I am new to Power BI and are working on moving my old Excel (power pivo) reports to Power BI. Most of that works well, but i have encountered a problem. 

I have a montly report of all active support tickets for a customer. (created the 1st in every month for a previous month)

I have a custom column that shows all tickets that was open the last month and it gives me the complete ticket list 🙂

On the front page i used to have a table given information on the status at mont start, end and new/closed tickets.frontpage1.PNG

In PowerBI i manages to get this split into two diferent queries by checking if a ticket was created last month or closed last month. As a ticket both has a created periode and a closed periode i dont see how i can use one column value to split between the rows in the presentation.

Created_Last_Month:False = Tickets at start of periode

Created_Last_month:True  = New tickets in periode

Closed_Last_Month: True  =  Closed tickets in periode

Closed_Last_Month: False = Open tickets at periode end.

Created last month.PNGClosed last month.PNG

In Power Pivo i solved this by creating two Power Pivo's and then assigned the presentations values by poiting to the diferent cells in the power pivo's.

Any ideas, sugestions is very welcome.

2 REPLIES 2
Lorentzt
Frequent Visitor

Searching the forum i found a post about using Measurement for sorting values and it looked like a possible solution. Sharing the solution and result below for others that may need it :).

I created a measurement using countrows and filter for each of:

Start, New, Closed, Remaining.

This gave me this promising result:

Frontpage2.PNG

So now i had a usable presentation, but i wanted type to be shown as columns so i moved 'Type" fra rows to columns but the result wasnt as wished:

Frontpage3.PNG

This problem was possible to fix by changing the Values parameter "Show on rows" to true.

Frontpage4.PNG

This looks good:

The only challenge now is how can i order the columns in my prefered order?

@Lorentzt create a new column for the sort order  so depending on what you order you want you can either create a calculated column with a switch statement or manually create it in power query - does that make sense?

then in your modelling table in power bi set the sort of that column by the column ie Capture.PNG

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.