Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to populate a reference column while allowing relationships to work

Hi,

I have two tables, Contracts and ServiceRequests.  ServiceRequests does not have the ContractId in it, but I want to have ContractId on ServiceRequests, so I can make a relationship and build a report off the link.

There is enough data in both tables to look this up from ServiceRequests.  However, I cannot figure it out.  I managed to add ContractId to ServiceRequests via a custom column in DAX, but then it gave me an error about circular dependencies when i tried to create the relationship.

The relationship to lookup ContractId from ServiceRequests is:

Contracts.ClientName = ServiceRequests.ClientName

&& ServiceRequests.Date >= Contracts.StartDate

&& ServiceRequests.Date <= Contracts.EndDate

There is only ever 1 possible ContractId for each ServiceRequest record.  Sometimes a ServiceRequest won't have an associated Contract, and this column value could be blank.

Contracts

ContractIdClientNameStartDateEndDate
1FirstCustomer1/1/201912/31/2019
2SecondCustomer6/1/20195/31/2020
3FirstCustomer1/1/202012/31/2020

ServiceRequests

IdClientNameDateContractId
1FirstCustomer4/1/2019???? (should be "1")
2FirstCustomer4/1/2020???? (should be "3")
3SecondCustomer7/1/2019???? (should be "2")
4SecondCustomer7/1/2020???? (should be blank)

Can anyone advise how to do this properly?  It seems like it should be in M, because then I could create a relationship between the two ContractId fields.  I figured out how to look this up in DAX, but then got circular dependencies...

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.  And in case you are wondering, I have no ability to pre-populate ContractId before it is brought into PowerBI.

Thanks very much!

PS this is how I looked up ContractId on ServiceRequests table from DAX... again, it worked, but won't allow me to use the column for a relationship...

ContractId =
calculate(
    FIRSTNONBLANK(Contracts[ContractId], 1),
    REMOVEFILTERS(),
    FILTER(All(Contracts), Contracts[ClientName] = ServiceRequests [ClientName]
               && Contracts[Start Date] <= ServiceRequests [Date]
               && Contracts[End Date] >= ServiceRequests [Date])
    )
2 REPLIES 2
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Your DAX is right, all you need to do is creating a copy table 'Table1' of Contracts.

Then you could create relationship between Table1 and ServiceRequests.

1-1.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a potential workaround, though creating duplicate tables just for lookup purposes seems rather inefficient and over-complicated.  I had been hoping to do this via M instead of DAX, to avoid this circular issue.

Because of other lookups between these two tables, I actually still get circular reference issues (and would therefore have to duplicate both tables).  Going to see if anyone else has any other ideas in this respect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.