Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amitchandra
Regular Visitor

How to plot YTD months on a bar chart

So, I have this month filter slicer in my report. I have another visual in a report - a bar chart. The chart plots a measure on the Y axis and Fiscal month on the X axis. The month on Y axis changes as per the month filter selection as expected. 

Now, I need a functionality where instead of plotting the single month which is selected in my filter, I want to plot all YTD months for that year. For example, considering the calendar is default January to December, if I select 'March-2017' in my filter, I want the chart to plot 'Jan-2017', 'Feb-2017' and 'Mar-2017' on my X axis. If I filter on 'April-2017', I want the chart to plot 'Jan-2017', 'Feb-2017', 'Mar-2017' and 'Apr-2017' on my X axis. Let me know if you need more details to help help my situation 🙂

P.S - I have a date table in my model with a date column in it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @amitchandra,

My apporach in this situation would be to create a disconnected table (one that doesn't have any relationships with other tables) and use a helper column.

I would create  calculated column in Date table called Rolling Months.

Rolling Months = 
VAR MAX_DATE_ =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ), ALL ( 'Date' ) ) //calculates  the max date of the table, will not be affected by on-page slicers and cross filters
RETURN
    DATEDIFF ( 'Date'[Date], MAX_DATE_, MONTH )
//calculates the difference in months from max date, the latest month will return zero

I would create a calculated table based of my existing Date table.

Month Table =
ALL ( 'Date'[Month], 'Date'[Rolling Months] )

Then I would create a measure that gets filtered based on the selection from the disconnected table and use this measure  in the visuals.

MeasureYTD = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Fact'[Measure] ),
    FILTER ( 'Date', 'Date'[Rolling Months] >= [Rolling Month Selected] )
)

These would result to something like this:

measureYTD.png

For the PBIX, refer to this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TBd7w3_bcV4E0oydgrB_ZANL60srZUBg/view?usp=sharing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
danextian
Super User
Super User

Would you mind posting a sample data?

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Can't post the actual data but below should give an idea -

Fact Table -

DateIDMeasure

Date Table -

DateIDDateMonth
201701022/01/2017Jan
2017013030/01/2017Jan
2017021414/02/2017Feb
2017032525/03/2017Mar
2017031616/03/2017Mar
2017042121/04/2017Apr

Relation b/w them 'Date Table'[DateID] -> 'Fact Table'[Date[ID]

I am dragging 'Fact Table'[Measure] on the Values, and 'Date Table'[Month] on the Axis.

Hi @amitchandra,

My apporach in this situation would be to create a disconnected table (one that doesn't have any relationships with other tables) and use a helper column.

I would create  calculated column in Date table called Rolling Months.

Rolling Months = 
VAR MAX_DATE_ =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ), ALL ( 'Date' ) ) //calculates  the max date of the table, will not be affected by on-page slicers and cross filters
RETURN
    DATEDIFF ( 'Date'[Date], MAX_DATE_, MONTH )
//calculates the difference in months from max date, the latest month will return zero

I would create a calculated table based of my existing Date table.

Month Table =
ALL ( 'Date'[Month], 'Date'[Rolling Months] )

Then I would create a measure that gets filtered based on the selection from the disconnected table and use this measure  in the visuals.

MeasureYTD = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Fact'[Measure] ),
    FILTER ( 'Date', 'Date'[Rolling Months] >= [Rolling Month Selected] )
)

These would result to something like this:

measureYTD.png

For the PBIX, refer to this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TBd7w3_bcV4E0oydgrB_ZANL60srZUBg/view?usp=sharing

Hi,

I want to make a follow up to danextian great solution for plotting YTD chart. The solution is great but if you need to

filter YTD through different months and years it doesn't work. 

You have to add these things:

1) I would create three calculated columns in Date table called Rolling Years, Rolling Months and Year Month.

Rolling Years = 
VAR MAX_DATE_ =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ), ALL ( 'Date' ) ) 
RETURN
    DATEDIFF ( 'Date'[Date], MAX_DATE_, YEAR )

Rolling Months = 
VAR MAX_DATE_ =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'DimDate'[Date] ), ALL ( 'DimDate' ) ) 
RETURN
    DATEDIFF ( 'DimDate'[Date], MAX_DATE_, MONTH )

YearMonth = FORMAT(DimDate[Date],"yyyy-mmm")

2) I would create a calculated table based on my existing DimDate table.

Date = ALL ( 'DimDate'[Rolling Months],DimDate[Rolling Year],DimDate[YearMonth] )
3) I would create two measures in the new Date table. 

Rolling Year Selected = MIN('Month'[Rolling Year])
Rolling Month Selected = MIN('Month'[Rolling Months])

4) Finally, I would create a measure that gets filtered based on the selection from the disconnected table and use this measure in the visuals.

MeasureYTD = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( financials[ Sales] ),
    FILTER ( 'DimDate', 'DimDate'[Rolling Months] >= [Rolling Month Selected] ),FILTER(DimDate,DimDate[Rolling Year] = [Rolling Year Selected])
)

Capture.PNG

Thanks Dan, I will get to this a little later than expected. Keep you posted on how I go. Thanks much 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.