Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AbdulAzad
Frequent Visitor

How to pass mulitple values to a required parameter in power bi desktop

Hi Guys,

I have a table visual created in Power BI Desktop, where say suppose I have an ITEM column in my table, I have created a parameter in the report on ITEM column, where I have huge amount of data say suppose 10 millions of records. Whenever I want to run the report by editing the ITEM parameter, I am able to only pass single ITEM value at a time. How can I pass mulitple ITEMs in the parameter in Power BI Desktop, I know, if we publish to Power BI Service, we can filter using URL fitler function. But is there any way we can filter the report by passing mulitple values to ITEM prompt in Power BI Desktop?

Can you guys please suggest, if you have any ideas/workarounds?

Thanks & Regards,

A

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AbdulAzad,

Unfortunately, query patameter doesn't support multi-selection right now. We can only choose a single value to filter data source. Here is a similar idea for you to upvote.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @AbdulAzad

are you talking abotu the parameter within power query? You can pass a list instead of a single value or comma-delimited values and then split them into a list within the query

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Thank you very much for the answer Livio, I am pretty much new to Power BI. I am talking about the parameters with in the power query, but on the fly while dynamically want to pass the mulitple values to the parameter? Where we have an option to edit the parameter and pass the values right?

Can you please little elaborate on the same or if you have any links or blogs or videos that would be very much helpful to me?

Hi @AbdulAzad

when you get to the editor, you can go to the below screen by going to 'New Parameter'. There you can choose 'Any Value' and have the user input a string of comma separated values which then you'd split within Power Query by using Text.Split function.

Or you could also use the option 'Query' where your paramter could come from another query as a list

2019-01-30_8-23-15.jpg

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.