Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anmolgan
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to pass date selections into custom column?

am using below dax to pass a date selection from query 1 date table into the dax custom column, but it seems like the selection is not working, how can I manage to do this:

Column1 = var reference_date= SELECTEDVALUE(Query1[FullDateAlternateKey])

return DATE(YEAR(reference_date),MONTH(reference_date),1)

12 REPLIES 12
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anmolgan 

try  a measure

Measure = 
var reference_date= SELECTEDVALUE(Query1[FullDateAlternateKey])

return 
STARTOFMONTH(reference_date)

or column

Column1 = 
var reference_date= CALCULATE(MAX(Query1[FullDateAlternateKey]))

return 
STARTOFMONTH(reference_date)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

@az38 Says the reference date is an incorrect parameter defined

@az38 It says reference date is an incorrect parameter defined

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anmolgan 

yep, my bad, sorry

you should use a measure

Measure = 

return 
date(year(reference_date), MONTH(reference_date), 1)

LinkedIn

@az38 

can I not use this in a custom column? I have a datediff formula date works on the basis of this dax and that goes like this:

Month = DATEDIFF(pcc_view_ar_aging[effective_date], pcc_view_ar_aging[Measure],MONTH)

the above formula am trying to use here.

@az38  so I am trying to calculate aging bucket on the basis of selection of a date field:

I have a custom column where I convert any selected that to 1st of each month, need to figure out how can I use custom column here:

Measure11 =

return
date(year(reference_date), MONTH(reference_date), 1)

Above is a measure but I need to use some kind of custom column to convert the selected date into 1st of each month, after that I find the month differences using below:

Month = DATEDIFF(pcc_view_ar_aging[effective_date], [Measure],MONTH)

Above is a custom column for now, need to think of something if I need to use a measure for this,

After the above I finally calculate my aging bucket which is a custom column:

New aging bucket = SWITCH(TRUE(),MONTH(pcc_view_ar_aging[effective_date]) = MONTH(pcc_view_ar_aging[Measure11]) && YEAR(pcc_view_ar_aging[effective_date]) = YEAR(pcc_view_ar_aging[Measure11]) && pcc_view_ar_aging[effective_date] <= TODAY(), "Current", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] =1 , "30 days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] =2 , "60 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 3 , "90 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 4,"120 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 5, "150 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 6, "180 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 7,"210 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 8,"240 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 9 , "270 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 10, "300 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] =11,"330 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[Month] = 12, "360 Days", pcc_view_ar_aging[effective_date] < pcc_view_ar_aging[Measure11],"360+ Days", "greater than current month aging")

Now I need to solve all this as per the date selection in my powerbi visual do you have any idea how to solve this, I think If I figure out the selection of date in a custom column then I dont need to change each of the formulas, if I need to change everything as in a measure then I will need to change the main bucket formula accordingly, can you suggest any ways to do this??
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anmolgan 

see my post above.

your Month Measure will look like

Month = 
var _effDate = MAX(pcc_view_ar_aging[effective_date])

RETURN
DATEDIFF(_effDate , [Measure], MONTH)

Your New aging bucket measure will be similar with 

New aging bucket = 
var _Month = [Month]

RETURN
SWITCH(TRUE(),
MONTH(_effDate) = MONTH([Measure11]) && YEAR(_effDate) = YEAR([Measure11]) && _effDate <= TODAY(), "Current", 
_Month > 0 && _Month <= 12, CONCATENATE(30 * _Month, " Days"),
"greater than current month aging"
)

LinkedIn

@az38 I did not understand this line can you explain a bit, so that I can built the bucket and validate with the actual one in my column.

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anmolgan 

if you need your visual reacts to slicer you need to create a Measure and not a Column.

I do not completely understand your business logic, as I do not see any examples of data and desired result both. So, I Can not be sure in the correct statements for you

LinkedIn

@az38 I have attached an output screenshot of what I am getting when I am creating my bucket and passing a hardcoded date to refersh date, please view the screenshot:

Screenshot (12).png

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anmolgan
It’s not enough. What do you have in data source and what do you need as result?

LinkedIn
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anmolgan 

you are trying to implement what-if logic which described here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-what-if

it will work with measure

try to re-write your formula as a Measure

Month = 

RETURN
DATEDIFF(_effDate , [Measure], MONTH)

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.