Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

matemusic
Advocate III
Advocate III

How to organize measures names

Hi,

is there any simple way to use same name of measurement for different formula?

For example, I have two report pages with different calculation. On both pages I have table with same column names, but on each table are different formulas. 

One table has column name Sales, which is simple calculating total sales.

On the other table I have cumulative of total sales, but i want to name it just Sales.

I did a simple trick: Just add space after Sales (one is "Sales", other is "Sales "). But it is not best method, beacuse it is hard to distinguished them. 

I tried with commenting (/*Cumulative*/ Sales), but the comment is then showed on table too.

Thanks

Regards

Mate

3 REPLIES 3

@matemusic If you are asking about measure naming conventions, I would recommend making a distinction between the two. You would have no way to tell in the model which measure was which using your current method. Others may have a different opinion, but I typically use the main name first with either an underscore or camel case to describe the measure.

Example:

Sales_Avg

Sales_CuTotal

Sales_Total

or 

SalesAvg

SalesCuTotal

SalesTotal

In this regard, all your measures related to sales are in the same location in the table for a specific measure you or an end user is looking for.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hey, thanks for your answer and sory for lack of clarity, i am not so good at expressing in english 🙂

Yes, I was talking about different measures with the same name. I don't realy want them to have the same name on list of measures, but I want the same name on report, beacuse some visualisations require minimal changes to get expected result.

Thanks  🙂

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

A little confused. You can have the same column name in 2 different tables. Are you referring to "measures"? Because you cannot have 2 measures with the same name.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.