Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

How to open .pbix stored on OneDrive for Business?

I have a .pbix file stored on OneDrive for Business. How do I get PowerBI Desktop to open this file using a cloud file path, such as  "https://organisation.sharepoint.com/personal/user_organisation/Documents/report.pbix"?

I get "Windows can't find... [filepath] Check the spelling an try again" for all "https" paths  in the File --> Open dialogue, even for paths which open fine in other Office Applications e.g. Excel.

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @38

Pbix file isn’t a data source, so no way to open it from a connector by now as far as I know.

If you want to open the pbix file from your SharePoint in the Power BI Desktop, you could sync a site library to your computer, then open the pbix file with Power BI Desktop.

For detail steps of how to sync a site library to your computer, you could refer to this article.

Best Regards,

Cherry  

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry, @v-piga-msft

many thanks for your response. For clarification, I am trying to open a .pbix in the "open file" dialogue to start a project, not import it as a data source into an existing project.

I am aware of syncing, but unfortunately this is not a viable solution in this case. PowerBI Desktop is made available to me on a server without drive mapping and where I don't have sufficient rights to sync my OneDrive.

Is there a way to open a .pbix from OneDrive without having to sync the library to a local drive?

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @38

From your description, I understand that you want to open a pbix file from OneDrive with an URL in Power BI Desktop.

However, from my experience, this feature is not suppoerted in the Power BI Desktop currently, you could post your new idea to here.

Best Regards,
Cherry Gao

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.